Migration assist stuck on blank screen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was using Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my old macbook pro 17" 2010 to my new 2017 macbook pro.

I had read this could take up to 10 hours over a wifi connection so set it up last thing at night. They both worked fine however it said approx 60 hours required, I left it for the night and was down to 48 in the morning.

I figured I may as well buy an adaptor to make the process faster via an ethernet cable, got it, came home and plugged in, it didn't register and was still transferring via wifi (wasn't sure if it would swap or not).

So I did what I thought would be ok and pushed "cancel transfer" on my new macbook (there was no such button on the old macbook migration screen).

New mac cancelled ok, old one didn't, waited for a few hours and then did a power button shut down.

Restarted and it makes the start up sound however absolutely nothing except a light purple coloured screen.

I started up the new mac migration again just in case it would resume but it can't find the other mac.

Any advice (except that I should have backed it up on a time machine etc, I know, I know...it was the plan for the new macbook).....:)

Thanks for any help
Phil

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Honestly, this is probably something that should be looked at in person. Do you have an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (Premium) near you? Without being able to see the current state of the new Mac, it would be difficult to suggest a course of action.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

Thanks for your reply.....the new macbook is all good and running fine, it's the old macbook that I was transferring from that's gone bad...
Nothing seemed to have been transferred when the connection was ended however today I was looking for a random file via "search this mac" and it showed up a heap of files that had been transferred except they were/are in a section that I can't seem to locate via the finder folder except when I use the search function for a specific file.
It seems that the majority of the files I want are all there except that they seem to be in a separate user account that I don't know how to find.
Could the partial transfer have created an additional user/username until the download was completed?

See the attached jpg and it has the files I was looking for under a "private" folder.....I'm sure it's basic to most, I'm just not that technically minded with computers :)

Thanks very much if you have any ideas....
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 21.08.17.png

Ask a Question