Macbook blank screen

Reaction score
Hello, my Macbook Pro 13in Retina display (Mid 2014) has been having some issues lately. When it boots its just a blank screen. If I boot to an external monitor it will boot fine. But if I try to turn it on without an external monitor it just shows me a lit black screen. I have checked to make sure the video cables are plugged in and I have also reformatted the nvme drive (ssd) and reinstalled mac os. There is no data from the past on it so I am starting to rule out a software issue. This is surprising to me because there has never been an issue like this before and its not like it was dropped and this started happening. This happened out of no where. I have no idea what to do next I have done all of the troubleshooting I can think of but I cant see any reason why the screen would just stop working. I am open to any suggestions or help.

Reaction score
just an update I have paired it to an apple tv and it shows a black screen just like on the screen on the macbook.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-If you get no video on the MBP screen or an external display, then the video card/chip is bad, and you will need a new logic board.
-If you shine a flashlight at an angle on the screen, can you see anything?
-Have you tried SMC and NVRAM resets?
-You could try powering off and back on, then simply enter your password after a minute or two...I have heard of that working sometimes.
-Do you have an Apple Store close that you could have it diagnosed at?

C

Reaction score
It works on an external display
Nothing with a flashlight
Yes I have tried SMC and NVRam resets no success
Tried the password no success
I might be able to take it to an apple store.
I am guessing there is no easy fix then.
I am able to sign in and do whatever I want on an extern display but laptop display is just black

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the good info there.

Since you can't see anything with a flashlight, and it works with an external display, it's probably not the backlight or logic boards. I would lean towards the LCD panel itself, which is a pretty major and involved repair.

You could continue to use it with an external display, but that definitely limits portability. I would take it in and have full hardware diagnostics run at an Apple Store, if you have one close by.

C

Ask a Question