A1286 2009 - BLANK DISPLAY. PLEASE ASSIST.

Reaction score
Hey guys, having some issues here again. I have recently purchased a MBP that had a broken screen, I did a handful of upgrades to it as well as replacing the screen. Though now I'm having some issues with it. Well one mainly.

Before I got the new screen (with thunderbolt display, which as this point the screen wasn't connected at all and I was operating solely with the bottom half of the Macbook) -- in I installed 10.10 on it's SSD, upgraded the RAM etc, all verified and matching parts that are required to work with the system, along with a new battery. However now that I have the new screen in, it only lights up, showing a black display I tried the SMC and PRAM reset. When I hook up my Thunderbolt Display Adapter to a DVI Adapter it shows the shaded out Logon Screen for 10.10 on the external display. However the Display on the laptop itself remains black.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Macbook will boot properly, and the backlight keyboard comes on, the display even though it is blank, will dim as it would come to the log in screen. I'm thinking possibly I was shipped a bad screen?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, this is not a user-serviceable part. The Mac can be damaged if the proper anti-static repair environment is not used.

That said: it could be a bad display, all the cabling isn't properly seated, or anti-static damage has occurred.

C

Reaction score
I am a certified technician. It is a new cable from Apple. The screen is after market but all anti static precautions were taken in the appropriate enviorment.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

It does sound like it could be a defective part to me. If everything is properly connected/seated, and you get external video, then the replacement screen and/or cable may be bad. Can you get the part exchanged?

Also, you mentioned that you were previously using the MB without a functioning screen. Was this issue the reason you were using it in that fashion? It could also be a damaged/failed LCD connector on the MLB itself, which would not prevent external video.

C

Ask a Question