MBP A1286 Not starting up

WSP

Reaction score
The magsafe has a very dim green light (sometimes it flashes green+orange), it was working fine and all of a sudden its not working. The magsafe is good because I tested it on another unit and it is able to charge it. I don't have extended warranty on it, no point for me to take it in. I am hoping its not the logic board because that just means its time to buy a new one.

I noticed the first chip seems melted which worries me, everything seemed ok.

I had this problem once and I was able to get it started again by doing the nvram+ pvram + smc reset, but now it is not working.

Now my questions are:

1. Could that chip be the cause of this issue?
  2. Can a dead battery cause this? Can it the MBP boot with no battery?
  3. I also noticed a possible issue with the power connector slot on the mobo, is there a way to jump the unit? Basically the connectors doesn't stay on, can I take one of the surrounding wires for that slot?

4. Someone told me it could be that little rectangular piece that receives power and transfer that to the mobo, likely possibility?

Which of these scenarios seems to be the case here? Looking forward to feedbacks.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

***Disclaimer*** There are no user serviceable parts inside your MacBook Pro.

Yes, that melted chip is the cause. Probably an electrical surge and/or liquid damage You will need a logic board.

Is there any evidence on the logic board/ bottom case of possible liquid damage?

C

WSP

Reaction score
Yes I did see some stains and I tried to clean that with an alcohol spray.

The weird thing is the unit was in this condition before with the melted chip, it was able to power on with the nvram/pvram/smc reset. It was able to charge. I tried to upgrade the hdd and after putting that in that's when it stopped working. The original hdd also isn't working.

Any chance it is the mini dc board or the power button not working? How can I jump start it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I agree with Kaveman.

Even if you replaced the top case (includes power button) and the MagSafe board, the damage to the logic board is done...and it would need replaced as well.

C

WSP

Reaction score
What chip is that? And I would simply like to try jumping so if someone can tell me please.

Reaction score
The one to the right looks stuffed too... clearly there is also track damage.

I have no idea who could be able to tell you what these chips are...

where are you going to get theses chips from? how are you going to install them, you do know the logic boards are multilayered?

All data is on the Harddrive but you say the HD won't spin up either so there is no starting this computer.

***Disclaimer*** There are no user serviceable parts inside your MacBook Pro.

WSP

Reaction score
Guys, I never said I was going to replace the chips, I simply asked what I was. If no one knows what it is, why is that the root cause? Could be anythinf. Maybe it's the audio controller if no one knows.

As far as the hard drive goes. How is there no starting it if the hard drive doesn't spin? I'm talking about shorting pins to start it.

Ask a Question