Best way to connect an older MacBook Pro w/ HDTV?

Reaction score
Hi,

Similar to something I've asked about in the past . . .

I purchased an enhanced, refurbished 15" 2007 MacBook Pro from eBay, and it doesn't have the same port I'm used to using my other MacBook. Therefore I'm trying to figure out a simple USB to HDMI connection. For some reason I don't think a male to male will work though (not that I'm homophobic). Any advice on what to order to connect this via HDMI to a Samsung TV?

Thanks!

Reaction score
USB doesn't transmit video from your Mac. Assuming your Mac has this Dual Link DVI video port:
Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 22.19.59.png

you'll need one of these for an HDMI connection,

or one of these for VGA, if your TV has a VGA port.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

The 2007 MacBook Pro port is a Dual-link DVI, so it should probably work. I have never used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter with my 2007 MBP, so I cannot confirm it would work. I have used a DVI-to-VGA/S-Video, and that did work.

NOTE: None of these adapters that MightyGem mentioned will transmit audio, since they are starting from a DVI video (only) port. You will have to run a separate audio cable to get sound on the TV. The audio port is a 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack.

C

Reaction score
NOTE: None of these adapters that MightyGem mentioned will transmit audio, since they are starting from a DVI video (only) port. You will have to run a separate audio cable to get sound on the TV. The audio port is a 3.5-mm analog/optical combo jack.
Forgot to mention that.

Reaction score
That’s okay. I have a neat 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord to connects to a sound bar; that part doesn’t matter.

Ask a Question