I compiled a list of the Best Mac Apps

Reaction score
Every once in a while a post pops up, often from a new Mac user, looking for the best Mac apps to download. I’ve compiled a list here in case it’s useful to anyone. Note: I’ve deliberately tried to avoid apps that are industry-specific in an attempt to focus on the apps that are most relevant to a general audience, so you’ll notice a handful of popular web/graphic design apps (Coda, Transmit, etc.) aren’t listed here. Let me know if there’s anything else that should be included.

Backups, Security, and Privacy

1Password: Excellent password manager. If you're on a budget, Password Safe is an open source option.

Backblaze: Unlimited cloud backup. [There's some discussion in the comments about its features compared to Crashplan, so I recommend checking that out if you're considering an online backup service or have any concerns.]

Carbon Copy Cloner: Create bootable backups of your computer.

Little Snitch: Monitor your network and protect your privacy.

MalwareBytes: Remove adware.

Reaction score
Very good post! Here are some additional ones:

SuperDuper! also creates bootable backups, just like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Yes, 1Password is very good. I just upgraded to V7.x, as I need it for my eventual upgrading to Mojave. Lastpass is another very good, free option.

While Malwarebytes is good, ClamXav is even better. It goes "deeper" than Malwarebytes.

For watching videos, VLC is the best, hands down.

Ask a Question