Improve playing a random iTunes playlist from a folder

Reaction score
I've been trying to add a little variety (but not too much variety) to my morning music. Previously, I had been using Automator to play a single playlist every morning. But now I am trying to figure out an AppleScript that will chose a random playlist from a folder of playlist named "Morning" and play it in a random order. After some initial success, I've hit a roadblock. My main hurdle seems to be specifying that I want one of the playlists within the playlist folder.

My first working attempt was as follows:

Code:
on run
    set playName to (random number from 1 to 5)
    set morningPlaylist to playName as text
    tell application "iTunes"
        launch
        stop
        set todayPlay to user playlist morningPlaylist
        set view of front window to todayPlay
        set shuffle enabled to true
        play todayPlay
    end tell
end run

This meets the basic criteria for what I wanted by working around the folder issue. For future use, I would prefer not to have to name the lists with numbers or modify the script if I add a new playlist.

To that end I tried:

Code:
on run
    set morningPlaylist to "Morning"
    tell application "iTunes"
        activate
        set todayPlay to folder playlist morningPlaylist
        play some track of todayPlay
        set view of front window to todayPlay
        set shuffle enabled to true
    end tell
end run

This basically just selects the entire folder and plays a random track then shuffles through all the songs from all the folder... not what I was going for. I've tried a few other things but none seems to work.

Is there a way to have the script create a list of the playlists in the folder and then choose one of them at random?
I thought maybe I could use
Code:
play some playlist
but I get the error
"error "iTunes got an error: Can’t make some data into the expected type." number -1700 to item"
if I try any variation of that. Apparently "some" and "playlist" aren't friends.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, that is way beyond my experience and knowledge level with Automator/AppleScript. Maybe the folks over at MacScripter could lend a hand.

C

Ask a Question