How can I improve internet speed on G4?

Reaction score
Good evening all!

I have a Virgin fibre broadband that allows for up to 50 MBps download speed. I have other Macs and a PC connected via Wifi (and getting decent speed) and a G4 connected via ethernet. On the G4 I do not seem able to get a speed superior to 5 MBps, which I find very frustrating. I use the G4 to play a 'Mac Only' online fantasy role-playing game (Oberin), which I love and have been playing for the last 8 years, but I often suffer lag. Cannot use my Mavericks as this game is not available yet for Macs over 10.6. Any suggestions? Is the G4 internet speed slower as old? Any ways to improve?

Much obliged for any help and may I take this opportunity to wish all forum users a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model G4 Mac?
-Which version of OS X on the G4 - 10.5.8?
-Have you tried an Internet speed test on all of your computers using that router?
-What are the  > System Preferences... > Network > Ethernet settings?
-If it is connected to the router via Ethernet, you should get a faster connection.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model G4 Mac?
-Which version of OS X on the G4 - 10.5.8?
-Have you tried an Internet speed test on all of your computers using that router?
-What are the  > System Preferences... > Network > Ethernet settings?
-If it is connected to the router via Ethernet, you should get a faster connection.

C
Hello Cory and thanks for your response. I use a Mac OS X Version 10.4.11. Processor 533 MHz PowerPC G4, Memory 896 MB SDRAM. It is connected to the router via Ethernet. All the other computers in the flat (Macs and PC) are connected via Wifi. All, except an older one (Mac OSX version 10.4.11, Processor 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4) have a speed of up to 50 MBps. The laptop Mac version 10.4.11 has immense difficulty loading the Speedtest.net to the point that I gave up trying.

Really grateful for your interest in my case.

PS just to clarify I am currently using the Mac OX version 10.4.11 (laptop) as the other G4 was really frustrating me with the lag. However last time I was able to test the speed on this (linked va Wifi) it was about 5 MBps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question