Have Mac Voices Improved?

Reaction score
Do any of you use the text to speech voices in your Mac? I'm asking because....

I'm on Snow Leopard (soon to upgrade) and am using those voices and a program called CrazyTalk to allow 3D characters to speak. Like this:

Snow Leopard is really old at this point, and I'm curious if the quality of the text to speech voices has improved in recent versions of OSX. And/or, perhaps the variety of voices has expanded?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, Apple has improved the quality of the Text to Speech voices since Snow Leopard. There are also many more nationalities and accents. Of course, they are not the same quality as Siri, but they are definitely much better than in previous versions of OS X.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Cory. Yes, since posting that I have installed el Capitan, and am quite impressed with the new voices and the greater selection. I'm now curious if there are third party apps which expand the selection further. Will post again if I find some.

Ask a Question