Upgrading to Mojave, OS 10.14: Might Be Best To Wait

Reaction score
The newest Mac OS, Mojave, OS 10.14, is due to be released on Monday September 24th. Even though there is really not much "earth shattering" with this new OS, it is prudent (depending on circumstances) to keep up to date. However, it might be wise to wait.

This article on the Tidbits site provides what one should do in preparation for all the new versions of the various Apple Operating Systems just released/soon to be released:

https://tidbits.com/2018/09/17/when...-12-watchos-5-tvos-12-and-macos-10-14-mojave/

(For the record, I upgraded my iPad the other day to iOS 12, and things are good).

For Mojave, the article is recommending waiting a while. As it is, two points it mentions have been stated here numerous times:

1. Given that a new OS always has some bugs, it is wise to wait until at least the first update, OS 10.14.1, comes out. Our illustrious Cory Cooper has mentioned this many. many times.

2. Make sure that all the third party applications one is using are compatible with the new OS. I have mentioned this before, on numerous occasions, and this site can be helpful with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Myself, given that Tech Tool Pro will (most likely) not have such an upgrade available until late November or December (as they have recently done), that is when I will upgrade to Mojave. By that time (especially based on recent history), OS 10.14.2 will be available, most likely correcting more bugs.

The other thing that one needs to think about is whether to upgrade "in place", or do a fresh, clean installation of Mojave. Myself, I always do a clean installation (I am using the latest version of High Sierra on both of my Macs). But I understand why some folks prefer to upgrade "in place". However, if one is upgrading from any OS earlier than High Sierra (especially "older" ones line Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Lion, Mountain Lion, or Yosemite), it is best to do a clean installation. (Of course one needs to insure the compatibility of any third party applications one is using).

Finally, of course, one needs to insure that Mojave will run on their Mac. This article states which Macs can run Mojave:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-mac-run-macos-10-14-mojave/

Note, though, that last sentence in that article:

"On the plus side, it is likely that systems running macOS 10.13 High Sierra to get security updates for a couple of years."

PS: Forgot to mention that before upgrading:

1. Do as much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs as possible (actually one should be doing that on a frequent basis).

2. Make one final backup of one's old system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did all of that and so far no issues at all! Mojave is working well I haven't used all my apps but so far so good.
I like the dark mode in my email and there are a few changes to finder and Safari.
Did a fresh install time machine served me well as did SuperDuper

Reaction score
Did all of that and so far no issues at all! Mojave is working well I haven't used all my apps but so far so good.
I like the dark mode in my email and there are a few changes to finder and Safari.
Did a fresh install time machine served me well as did SuperDuper

I have already seen a serious issue, as I have Tech Tool Pro, and even though the company has EXPLICITLY stated that the update for Mojave compatibility will not be out until the latter part of November/early December, someone STILL tried to use it with Mojave, and of course had issues. I am well aware of Onyx (a Mojave-compatible version is currently under development), and yesterday a version of Coctail that is compatible with Mojave was released. I suspect there will be more and more updates being released for various software, now that Mojave has been released.

As long as one uses primarily Apple software (and maybe some "universal" titles like VLC, Quicken, Transmission, etc.), then an upgrade now should be fine. But I am certainly not willing to risk it, especially with disk cleanup/maintenance/repair software like Tech Tool Pro and Onyx, and of course SuperDuper!. Also, as our illustrious Cory Cooper has stated numerous times, an initial release of a Mac OS always contains bugs, and it is best to wait until at least V10.14.1 is released. In my case, given that it will (most likely) be late November/early December before I upgrade (timed with the new version of Tech Tool Pro), I expect V10.14.2 of Mojave to have been released by then.

Also, I see where you did a fresh installation of Mojave, and then (I suspect) "migrated"/copied needed stuff from a Time Machine backup. Also, you state "time machine served me well as did SuperDuper". So, did SuperDuper! work fine AFTER you installed Mojave?

Reaction score
There was a Superduper upgrade when I finished and Onyx is on the way I don't have tech tool pro so no issue for me. This mac is my plaything so I cloned my original High Sierra drive and erased the drive and installed Mojave and then pulled all my info from Time Macchine. All in all a simple pain free experience.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and info. I just upgraded SuperDuper!, and I can still use it with High Sierra (I also downloaded the separate new version, just in case). Titanium software actually came out with a new version of Onyx for High Sierra the other day, and I already downloaded and installed it on both of my Macs. Last year, they went through 3 versions of Onyx for High Sierra compatibility before it stabilized. So be careful with the first version of Onyx.

Reaction score
I installed it and now it won't even start up - do you think a future upgrade may fix this? I reinstalled the system and it still won't work, even in safe mode.

Reaction score
First, how did you "install" it? Did you just upgrade "in place", ie, let Mojave basically over write what was on your system already?

Saw your other thread, and it looks like you are trying to make a recovery, along with a clean installation of Mojave. But yeah, actual backups to an external device would be wise. Also, it is critical that you do as much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs as possible (from a software perspective). You can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks. Finally, did you insure that any third party (ie, non-Apple) programs you are using are compatible with Mojave?

BTW, the first update for Mojave, OS 10.14.1, is currently in the 4th beta testing phase.

Reaction score
First, how did you "install" it? Did you just upgrade "in place", ie, let Mojave basically over write what was on your system already?

Saw your other thread, and it looks like you are trying to make a recovery, along with a clean installation of Mojave. But yeah, actual backups to an external device would be wise. Also, it is critical that you do as much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs as possible (from a software perspective). You can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks. Finally, did you insure that any third party (ie, non-Apple) programs you are using are compatible with Mojave?

BTW, the first update for Mojave, OS 10.14.1, is currently in the 4th beta testing phase.

Yeah I saw the new system and thought 'this will be great!' and installed it, rather stupidly now I see.

I have Clean my Mac X and everything up to date, clean, sorted but I still cannot put a system on the HD - it just won't load up.

And no, I didn't check.

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac from late 2014 and was running High Sierra.

Thing is it upgraded, worked fine, then slowed down, then after 4 days it just won't start up anymore.

And now I can't book from it I can't delete or uninstall the software that's crashing it and it doesn't start in Safe Mode either.

Reaction score
also I keep my Mac pretty clean and I have checked that site and there seems to be no software I have that clashes with the system.

Reaction score
How are you making posts here? Is it with another Mac? If so, what exact model is it? If not, do you have a friend that has a Mac? If so, what exact model is it?

Reaction score
so it's all good now - when I last lost my system I sent my iPhoto library to save onto my Dropbox, so all images are done and for the files I needed I used some software recovery program that found all the files and I recovered them. Phew!

I now have the Apple time capsule and will make regular backups of my drive.

Thanks all for the help.

Reaction score
Ok, cool! Myself I am performing disk cleanup everyday (primarily having deleted EMails permanently removed), and weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backups. It might be wise to do something "similar", and applicable to your needs. Starting to do backups is definitely wise!

Reaction score
I am using a MacBook Pro Silver (15-inch, 2016). I downloaded OS Mojave 10.14 last night around midnight. It took around 45 minutes to completion. As noted at the Apple WebSite that I downloaded from, the screen will go blank several times while downloading and installing, but then a few seconds later it will resume, so don't touch anything. Just let it do its job. I sat with the computer and watched the whole process.

Everything is running smoothly, so far.

Reaction score
I assume you mean you downloaded and installed "in place" OS 10.14, correct? Also, OS 10.14.1 is in the 4th phase of beta testing, so that update should be coming out soon.

What about any third party (ie, non-Apple) applications that you use? Did you check whether or not they are compatible with Mojave?

Reaction score
I assume you mean you downloaded and installed "in place" OS 10.14, correct? Also, OS 10.14.1 is in the 4th phase of beta testing, so that update should be coming out soon.

What about any third party (ie, non-Apple) applications that you use? Did you check whether or not they are compatible with Mojave?
Yes, I "downloaded and installed "in place"". The only Applications that I use that are not Mac stuff are the Microsoft Office.

It's been several days now since I downloaded, and still working fine: lightning speed.

Reaction score
Yes, I "downloaded and installed "in place"". The only Applications that I use that are not Mac stuff are the Microsoft Office.

It's been several days now since I downloaded, and still working fine: lightning speed.

Sounds good. I also saw where Office 2016 (I assume that is what you are using) is compatible with Mojave.

Ask a Question