Keynote problems upgrading from Yosemite to Sierra - High Sierra?

Reaction score
Hi all. I wish to update MacBookPro from Yosemite 10.10.5 to either Sierra or High Sierra. My great concern is: how would behave the Keynote slides created with Keynote 6.6.1 (Yosemite) once I open them with Keynote 7.3.1 on Sierra or High Sierra? Would I get the slides formatted differently, probably messed-up with spaces between sentences and objects not corresponding to the original made in version 6.6.1? I have an enormous quantity of Keynote slides (I am a consultant) and I cannot afford to find all of them messed up, when opened with a newer Keynote. And I now wish to upgrade my OS due to security reason. Thanks a lot for any help, greetings from Italy.

Reaction score
It's wise that you are first posing this question before upgrading. Many folks just go ahead and upgrade "in place", without a good plan, and subsequently run into problems.

OK, need to ask a couple of questions, and then provide one possible strategy:

1. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using for that?

3. One of the things you need to consider is that all your third party software (ie, non-Apple) is compatible with whatever OS you plan on upgrading to. This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Not sure how you do your backups, but given the need to "protect" all your keynote files, it might be best to use a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner before you upgrade. It would be good if you first read this thread I started back in November about backups:

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/backups-backups-backups.223959/

There are a number of useful comments made by others to that discussion also.

So, here is a possible strahegy:

1. Download the "Install macOS Sierra" file from the App store (for now, stay away from High Sierra. A number of folks are having various issues with it (not me, by the way)). When that is done, DO NOT proceed with the installation. Quit that process. There will be a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra" inside your Applications. IMMEDIATELY make a copy of that file to another location on your internal drive.

2. If you need to download and install any third party software updates for Sierra compatibility, do that now. Make sure to save those update files.

3. Do as much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs as you can. If you want, I can recommend some excellent products for you.

4. Do a SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner backup to your external drive (or partition on that drive). Remember, using either of those products will make a bootable backup.

5. Restart your Mac from that bootable backup. Use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive.

6. Navigate to the file "Install macOS Sierra". Launch it, and point to your internal drive for the installation. Proceed with the installation. The result will be a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12.6, Sierra.

7. At then end of that, you'll be offered to opportunity to "migrate"/copy all your needed "stuff" from the backup. Do that.

8. Restart your Mac. Hopefully, that will be successful.

OK, when all that is completed, launch Keynote, and see if it can "correctly" process all your keynote files. If it can, great! If instead there are issues, and there is no "easy" solution, remember that you still have everything in tact on the (Yosemite) backup. You can restart your Mac from that backup, and work on it (it will be the same as you are presently doing).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Notwithstanding all of the above, which tends to be honestone's stock answer to most questions, I've just run a Keynote v4 presentation full of various builds, transitions, video clips etc on Keynote v 7 with no problems whatsoever, so I don't think you'll have too much of a problem

Reaction score
Notwithstanding all of the above, which tends to be honestone's stock answer to most questions, I've just run a Keynote v4 presentation full of various builds, transitions, video clips etc on Keynote v 7 with no problems whatsoever, so I don't think you'll have too much of a problem

That's actually not my "stock" answer. As it is, the op is skipping at least one Mac OS (El Capitan), and that is always problematic. Also, most folks do not even consider most of the critical things I mentioned. They just upgrade "in place", and then problems arise.

Also, if the op uses the Recovery HD partition for the upgrade, he will get High Sierra (OS 10.13.3), which has been causing issues for a number of folks. The process I described gives an individual so much more control, and is the preferred way to upgrade to Sierra.

Reaction score
Well, not the whole lot, but quite often the first three points. :D

That's true. But so many folks come here for help, and they neglect to do what I state in those 3 points. Plus, it can be very, very helpful in providing assistance.

Reaction score
True, but I'd refer you to the first point in your signature. Sometimes simple questions just need simple answers, and I know lots of simple answers. :D:D

Ask a Question