Keynote '09 unexpected error

Reaction score
I just upgraded to High Sierra (10.13.4) on both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro. Both ran all iWork apps just fine, including Keynote. Since the update, I can run Keynote '09 to assemble a presentation, but as soon as I try PLAY, I get "An unexpected error has occurred. Please quit and reopen Keynote."

Restarting does not help. I tried all the solutions on Apple's discussion forum (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4247003) but nothing works. I've verified permissions, disk integrity, and zapped PRAM on both computers, but it still won't play any presentation (tried several).

And yes, I've deleted everything related to iWork '09 and reinstalled from the original disk with no change.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
First, did you just upgrade "in place", ie, have OS 10.13.x basically overwrite what was on your machine before? Also, what Mac OS did you upgrade from?

Secondly, some standard questions:

A. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? There are several useful programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

B. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using?

C. What exact Mac models do you have?

Reaction score
First, did you just upgrade "in place", ie, have OS 10.13.x basically overwrite what was on your machine before? Also, what Mac OS did you upgrade from?

Secondly, some standard questions:

A. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? There are several useful programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

B. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If you are, what software are you using?

C. What exact Mac models do you have?

Mac Pro (6-Core Xeon E5, 3.5 GHz, 32 GB) upgraded from 10.11, and MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2015, 2.8 GHz i7, 16 GB DDR3) upgraded from 10.12. Both had no problems with the install. All subsequent updates accomplished.

A. Of course. Disk Utility, Drive Genius, TechTool Pro to name a few. Unlikely that BOTH computers would experience the same issue if it was a drive issue, in my opinion.

B. First, TimeMachine daily. Second, Carbon Copy Cloner monthly.

C. See above.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Apple made the iWork suite free for all. Have you tried visiting the App Store app, and downloading the latest versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote with your Apple ID?

C

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I was trying to focus this thread on Keynote '09 and not the current Keynote. The latest version is not as versatile, user-friendly, and feature laden as the '09 version. That is why I'd sure like to get '09 to work, and thus the post asking for help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries, I totally understand.

Unfortunately, the issue you are running into is a fairly common one. Keynote 5.0.x from iWork '09 is giving the same error for almost everyone running it in High Sierra. Unfortunately, due to its age, there isn't much you can do to correct the issue, short of running in on an older version of OS X/macOS. If you have an external drive, you could always install an older version of OS X on it along with iWork '09, and use it when started up from that drive.

There just isn't a simple fix that will work in this situation.

Hope that helps a little,

C

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I was trying to focus this thread on Keynote '09 and not the current Keynote. The latest version is not as versatile, user-friendly, and feature laden as the '09 version. That is why I'd sure like to get '09 to work, and thus the post asking for help.

Here's how to get Keynote'09 to playback slideshows in full screen under macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave Public Beta:
  1. Open Terminal, and paste in the following command (adjust path based on where Keynote’09 is installed on your machine):
  2. codesign --remove-signature /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote
  3. Press the return key and close Terminal.
  4. Download and install Hex Friend from https://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/
  5. Open Hex Friend and leave the app open, so that it has an icon on your Dock.
  6. Go to Finder, then navigate to Applications -> Keynote.app (again, adjust path based on where Keynote’09 is installed on your machine).
  7. Right click on the Keynote’09 app, then click on Show Package Contents.
  8. Navigate to Contents -> MacOS. Then drag the Keynote file onto the icon of Hex Friend on your Dock.
  9. On Hex Friend's menu bar, click on Edit -> Mode -> Overwrite.
  10. Use Command + F to invoke the search field, then search for Hex value “55 A1 30 07“ (without quotation marks).
  11. Overwrite “55 A1 30 07“ into “C3 A1 30 07”. Basically, you only need to change ’55’ into ‘C3’. (Note: You have to overwrite it manually. DO NOT USE THE BUILT-IN REPLACE FEATURE.)
  12. Save the file with Command + S.
  13. Run Keynote’09, and your presentation should play correctly in full screen.
before_change.jpg

after_change.jpg

Reaction score
Here's how to get Keynote'09 to playback slideshows in full screen under macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave Public Beta:
  1. Open Terminal, and paste in the following command (adjust path based on where Keynote’09 is installed on your machine):
  2. codesign --remove-signature /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote/QUOTE]
OK, so what am I doing wrong or what am I missing?

error: /usr/libexec/DeveloperTools/codesign_allocate: can't write output file: /Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote.cstemp (Invalid argument)
/Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app: the codesign_allocate helper tool cannot be found or used

Reaction score
  2. codesign --remove-signature /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote
  3. Press the return key and close Terminal.
  4. Download and install Hex Friend from https://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/
  5. Open Hex Friend and leave the app open, so that it has an icon on your Dock.
  6. Go to Finder, then navigate to Applications -> Keynote.app (again, adjust path based on where Keynote’09 is installed on your machine).
  7. Right click on the Keynote’09 app, then click on Show Package Contents.
  8. Navigate to Contents -> MacOS. Then drag the Keynote file onto the icon of Hex Friend on your Dock.
  9. On Hex Friend's menu bar, click on Edit -> Mode -> Overwrite.
  10. Use Command + F to invoke the search field, then search for Hex value “55 A1 30 07“ (without quotation marks).
  11. Overwrite “55 A1 30 07“ into “C3 A1 30 07”. Basically, you only need to change ’55’ into ‘C3’. (Note: You have to overwrite it manually. DO NOT USE THE BUILT-IN REPLACE FEATURE.)
  12. Save the file with Command + S.
  13. Run Keynote’09, and your presentation should play correctly in full screen.
View attachment 2780
View attachment 2781

Thank you...thank you...thank you! This works perfect. Still relying on Keynote '09 due to a huge kiosk style solution that extensively uses hyperlinks to other keynote files...something the dumbed down new version still can't do. I should add that you'll need to install xcode and sudo the codesign command above. Thanks again for sharing this.

Reaction score
Try using "sudo codesign --remove-signature /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote" instead. (You may be asked to enter your login password by the Terminal app).

Reaction score
Try using "sudo codesign --remove-signature /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote" instead. (You may be asked to enter your login password by the Terminal app).

That worked (sudo) but then searching for the code Hex value 55 A1 30 07 fails. I looked at the images and can find the code BEFORE the value, but there is no 55 A1 30 07 following that code. My version of iWork '09 for Keynote is version 5. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Reaction score
That worked (sudo) but then searching for the code Hex value 55 A1 30 07 fails. I looked at the images and can find the code BEFORE the value, but there is no 55 A1 30 07 following that code. My version of iWork '09 for Keynote is version 5. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You need to update to Keynote 5.3 for this to work. Get the iWork 9.3 update (which includes Keynote 5.3) here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Reaction score
Hi guys, I did the elephantraccoon25's protocol but afterwards the Keynote did open.... I click in the Keynote icon but nothing happens... someone can help me ? thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
I got it, maybe I was doing something wrong about the Keynote pathway. Thanks a lot elephantraccoon25 for you suggestion. It is working pretty good now for me. You did a great job bro !!!!

Ask a Question