Why are Preview scans blurred?

Reaction score
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra it seems that when I scan a document in Preview v.10.0 (944.5) with a usually reliable Epson 2450 Photo Scanner the image sometimes is blurred. I have the same problem using Image Capture v.7.0 (1106). I also see that many saved scans are also blurred in Finder but I found that if I open the file and then I use "Display at actual size" the scan is resized and then is in focus. Is there a fix? Thank you.

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
there is a driver that was released back in September 2017 that shows as compatible. I would try to download and install that to see if that helps the issue in Preview.
I have already done that.
Also, have you tried changing any of the preferences in Preview itself?
I don't know if I changed this but currently it reads: Images/Define 100% scale as: "Size on screen equals size on printout"
I have looked at many of my scanned files in Finder (View as Cover Flow) and the blurred files all open in Preview as blurred but after I click on "Display at actual size" they appear normal.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just a thought but have you deleted the Epson Photo Scanner from System Preferences, restarted your Mac then added it again?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Preview on my Mac is set to: Define 100% scale as: 1 image pixel equals 1 screen pixel. Not sure whether that could help your issue though.

What file type are you scanning to - PDF/JPG/etc.?

C

Reaction score
Just a thought but have you deleted the Epson Photo Scanner from System Preferences, restarted your Mac then added it again?
I can't explain it but I can now scan properly using either Image Capture, Preview, or a 3rd option I had never tried before "Open Scanner" (in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners/Perfection 2450). I have reviewed many of my scanned files in Finder (View as Cover Flow) and although most now appear normal a few are still blurred but once opened in Preview and I click on "Display at actual size" they appear normal.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Strange, but I am glad it seems to have worked itself out.

Let us know if you continue to have the issue.

C

Ask a Question