Opening preview

Reaction score
When I receive emails with attachments, I cannot view them when I open Preview. Any clues please? I run Lion and emails on mail.com

Reaction score
Depends on what the attachments are. Should Preview be able to open them: e.g. jpegs, PDFs etc. Have you tried double-clicking the attachment rather than opening Preview first?

Reaction score
Depends on what the attachments are. Should Preview be able to open them: e.g. jpegs, PDFs etc. Have you tried double-clicking the attachment rather than opening Preview first?

Hello MightyGem, At the top right corner of the email, I see say,10 attachments, quick look and save. Quick look gives me a black screen and a small portion of the heading of the senders business page. Frustrating! They will be text, not photos.
Failure to open means I send cursor to top left and eventually the menue will come down to quit preview.
'Attachments' don't appear anywhere else on the email page, just at the top right corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Attachments' don't appear anywhere else on the email page, just at the top right corner
In that case they are probably just "a small portion of the heading of the senders business page.".

Have you tried the Save option and then try and open the saved file by doubleclicking?

I my experience, "proper" attachments normally come at the end of the email.

Reaction score
Hello MG None of this works! The message has the usual to,from,date stuff top left hand corner.Then there's a line across the page. On this line, and above it, is 2 attachments 10MB, quick look save along with greyed out waste bin and arrows. That's it. Driving me potty. Am 3 years into a probate case and haven't been able to open any of the attachments!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you download the attachments can you then open them okay?

Some emails come with attachments that are just part of the main body of the email if there are corporate images in the message like headings or footings etc, these will also be listed in the attachment menu.

Reaction score
If you download the attachments can you then open them okay?

Some emails come with attachments that are just part of the main body of the email if there are corporate images in the message like headings or footings etc, these will also be listed in the attachment menu.

No, Spawn_Dooley, that's the point. Cannot open, upload, download, nuffink. Am using Mail 5.3.
In Most emails, the attachment come at the end of the body of the message. Am quickly losing the will to live here!
The main body of the messages already contain the business headings etc, so there wouldn't be any requirement to use them as attachments I don't think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try going to Mail > Mailbox > Rebuild & see if this allows you to access the attachments. If not, can you take a screenshot of the Attachments menu (like mine below) & upload it here, please?

In Most emails, the attachment come at the end of the body of the message. The main body of the messages already contain the business headings etc, so there wouldn't be any requirement to use them as attachments I don't think.

For example embedded in the invoice emails from my ISP there are 14 attachments but only the .pdf is useful to me as it's the actual invoice, same goes for itineraries sent from the airline company I use from time to time, they are loaded up with graphics.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.04.01 PM.png

Ask a Question