Folders & documents keep opening in tabs!

Reaction score
New 27" iMac. Two of lders containing documents placed on desktop won’t open individually, only in tabs. I select both, double click, and they open in two tabs. Same for two documents on the desktop. I can open one, then click on the other, and it appears in the first one's window. If I try and open two documents from a documents folder, nested within the main Documents folder accessed below "GO" in menu, I get tabs. But I can open two folders from this nested folder, they will appear on the desktop.

Since I regularly need to see two documents simultaneously so I can compare their contents, this is making me crazy and messing with my ability to do my work.

I've tried multiple restarts and finder relaunches. Made certain the "open folders in tabs instead of new windows" box in the finder preferences is unchecked. I've never had a Mac do this, and have tried every fix I can come up with. But the problem continues. Help!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Ask a Question