Automatic folders (sorting pictures by date)

Reaction score
I am already looking for a while for a tiny program which can simplify my life. I am using macOS and I am hoping to find a solution to sort out my folders with pictures. At the moment I have 1 big folder which is basically a mess: thousands of pictures from my Canon reflex camera, my phone! I would like to build up some structure with a folder for each year and underneath subfolders with the date and in those folders the pictures of course.
Is this possible using automator? Or something else?
On the web I only found small programs to do this for windows... not for a mac. Any help is appreciated!! thank you so much!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with any software that will perform that task automatically. I don't have enough experience to use Automator/AppleScript to accomplish it either.

You could import all your photos into the Photos app, and arrange them there. Or, make folder manually, and move the photos into them by date. A lot of work, but once you are caught up, you can easily continue with any new photos.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you using Photos currently?

C

Reaction score
You can do that in Photos by using Smart Albums by using the following parameters: Date .....is in the range....01/01/2018....to....31/12/2018.

It will use the EXIF data of the photos to show all those taken in 2018.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with any software that will perform that task automatically. I don't have enough experience to use Automator/AppleScript to accomplish it either.

You could import all your photos into the Photos app, and arrange them there. Or, make folder manually, and move the photos into them by date. A lot of work, but once you are caught up, you can easily continue with any new photos.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you using Photos currently?

C

Thanks for your reply!
I'm using an iMac from 2010 running MacOS High Sierra.
No I'm not using Photo's at the moment, I am really looking for a way to organize in folders.

Reaction score
Well, Photos will let you organise in Folder and Albums. Once you set it up, it will do t automatically.

Ask a Question