Locked folders

Reaction score
OK, I think I posted this a few weeks ago, but not solution was reached, and I lost track of the thread.

My MBP (10.11.6) is on a network with other Macs with the same OS. When I did a Network connection to it, from my other Macs, many folders in my user folder were marked as being inaccessible. Now, my login name is the same on all machines, and these folders ALL had permissions set so my login should have R/W permission. Those folders are in my account on the MBP. Weird.

I finally figured out that, in order to access those files and folders, I needed to give Administrator R/W permission to each of them. Now, no one is logged in as Administrator either on my MBP or my other machines, so that seems odd. In fact, my login is not marked as having Administrator privileges on any of these machines.

The question is WHY? When memyselfandi logs into my MPB, why do I see loads of folders owned by memyselfandi that are marked as being inaccessible? Why does giving Administrator permissions to those folders make them accessible?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Something is definitely amiss, as you shouldn't have to alter permissions to access file with the same user name on a network connected Mac.

Is there a specific reason your account doesn't have Admin rights on these Macs? Is there another Admin user?

C

Reaction score
Yes, there are several oddities about permissions on this machine. I think I'm just going to reload El Cap on it.

I'm the only user of this Mac, but I like to keep Admin account separate just so I don't do anything stupid. Probably unnecessary, and it would certainly cure this particular problem if I gave myself Admin rights!

Reaction score
OK, I reloaded El Cap, and everything is fixed. Connecting to this MBP machine from another (iMac) on the network, with the same login name, gives me access to everything on the MBP. There was some confusion about permissions going on, and I figured it must have been some OS issue. Whew.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...thanks for letting us know. The reinstall probably corrected the permissions issue you were having.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question