Macbook Air volume locked

Reaction score
I have an early 2014 Macbook Air. My volume randomly cut off, and when I restarted my computer the volume had locked. When I went to the sound settings, the "Mute" box next to the output volume settings was ticked, but it won't let me un-tick it. Is there a way that I can fix this? I'd appreciate any help :)

Reaction score
What exact Mac OS are you using? I have a mid 2013 13" MacBokk Air, and all is good regarding the sound (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6).

Have you been making backups to an external device? And have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

Reaction score
What exact Mac OS are you using? I have a mid 2013 13" MacBokk Air, and all is good regarding the sound (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6).

Have you been making backups to an external device? And have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?
Very very sorry about the late reply. I'm using Sierra, OS 10.12.5.

I haven't been making backups to anything, and I haven't done any disk maintenance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this, make sure your headphones are plugged in and if you find the sound is working, Alt-click the speaker icon at the top of the screen & click on 'Sound Preferences'. When the sound preferences screen appears, unplug your headphones. I know it sounds like voodoo but trust me.

Reaction score
Try this, make sure your headphones are plugged in and if you find the sound is working, Alt-click the speaker icon at the top of the screen & click on 'Sound Preferences'. When the sound preferences screen appears, unplug your headphones. I know it sounds like voodoo but trust me.
The sound doesn't work with headphones either.

Reaction score
There's no light coming from the headphone jack.

Another problem has come up, the computer won't turn on anymore.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If it won't power on, it could be a few things. It could also mean that it is stuck in a deep sleep mode. If you press the Caps Lock key, does it light up green? If so, it is still powered on and stuck in that mode. You could try connecting the AC power cord, hold the power button for 5-10 secs until the Caps Lock light goes off, wait 5-10 secs, then try powering it back on.

If it does power on normally, you could try to reset the SMC and NVRAM to see if that corrects the sound issue:
-Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Keep us posted,

C

Reaction score
The Caps Lock key doesn't light up.

I spoke to Apple Support while I was still able to power it on, and they had me reset the SMC. It didn't work. I can't attempt to reset NVRAM because it isn't starting up.

There's also a sound coming from it that I normally hear when I start it up, but it's not the startup sound. I usually hear it right before the screen lights up.

Reaction score
It is possible that your startup volume has become "corrupted". Given that you have never done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and have no backups, it will eb somewhat risky to try and repair the volume.

How are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? If so, what model is it?

Reaction score
I'm using my iPhone to post here.

I will be having a technician look at it this week. From what I've gathered from here, and Apple Support, it may be too difficult for me to try to repair it myself.

If there's anything else I may be able to try, I'll definitely give it a shot. I appreciate the help.

Ask a Question