MacBook Air black screen and not charging

Reaction score
Hi there

My husband has a MacBook Air, 2104 (passed on to him when I upgraded)

It has been left uncharged for a month or so and now when the charging cable is connected the light stays orange so I am assuming it is not charging

Is it likely that it needs a new battery or is it a dead duck, obviously we cant start it up

Any help will be much appreciated

Many thanks

Reaction score
When you say "left uncharged", did he use the machine at all during that time? No matter how much of charge the machine needs (even 1%), the light will stay orange until it is 100% charged, and then turn green. I have a mid 2017 13" MacBook Air (used to have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air), and that is/has always been the case for me.

If, though, it continues to stay orange for a long, long time, then there could be an issue with the battery.

Reaction score
Hi there

It wasn't used at all for about a month, then when the charger was plugged in it was orange as is correct. it was left "on charge" overnight but it was still orange the next morning

There is a little bit of exposed wire at the top of the cable where it connects magnetically and I am presuming it could be that

Reaction score
So the exposed "wire" is on the connector, right? If so, maybe try and wrap it in electrician's (black) tape, and see if it works.

Is the machine at least accepting a "partial" charge, so that it can be booted, and thus he could see how much percentage of the battery is charged?

Reaction score
There cant be any charge as it wont turn on and is as dead as a dodo

I tried the tape idea earlier but still no charge

I have ordered a new charger (cheaper version than the Apple one) just to eliminate that aspect, who knows it may be that simple

Reaction score
Just to update

Had to buy a pentelobe 1.2 mm screwdriver and removed the back of the Mac

Disconnected and reconnected the battery and it was as good as new

All in all a success

Reaction score
Thanks for that update! If I ever have similar (or the same) issues with my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air, I'll remember this.

Again, appreciate the update. Always helpful when folks do that!

Ask a Question