Airport - Blocked Internet - Virus?

Reaction score
Hi,

When I connect to my Airport I get this weird ASUS sign in page. Please find below.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 19.47.55.png

Never seen it before and don't want to type anything in it as I fear its Malware. Every time I open a browser the same thing happens in their and I can't use the internet. I have a separate router with a separate internet provider in my house and all our computers work fine with that. It's just whenever I connect to Airport this comes up and I've never seen it before.

I tried resetting my airport router but to no avail. Pretty clueless here!

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

SP

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Looks like you aren't connecting to your AirPort Base Station...that is the configuration page for an ASUS router, which is close to your location. Or, you default homepage in your browser has been changed to the ASUS configuration page.

-What version of OS X?
-Which model AirPort?
-Are you sure you are connected to your Wi-Fi network?
-Is your other router an ASUS and are you connected to that Wi-Fi instead?
-Have you checked Safari > Preferences... > General > Homepage: to see what it is set to - is it http://192.168.1.1?

The isn't a known hack that can change the firmware of an AirPort Extreme/Express Base Station to have the firmware of an ASUS router.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome!

So...

What version of OS X?

10.10.4... however this 'sign in' effect can be seen on all devices (other MacBooks, iPad etc).

-Which model AirPort?

A1409

-Are you sure you are connected to your Wi-Fi network?

Yep. I've even tried to reset the time capsule thing to see if that worked but didn't seem to get anywhere. Furthermore, I had an old router lying around which I plugged in and sure enough the same ASUS sign in thing came up (definitely not ASUS brand).

-Is your other router an ASUS and are you connected to that Wi-Fi instead?

Rory's Wifi is the mac one, TP-Link is my old router and the Home hub is the secondary network. The devolo things are just boosters which leaves two BT devices... so I don't think I am connected to an ASUS router.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.40.26.png

-Have you checked Safari > Preferences... > General > Homepage: to see what it is set to - is it http://192.168.1.1?
Yes... and no it isn't 'http://192.168.1.1'... what is this? Screen shot of my homepage below.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.44.30.png

Could this be a problem with my internet service provider. I always get a pop up sign in window like this whether I plug in the mac router or the older TP-link router.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.21.50.png

so it says 'Join TP-Link_66F0AC' at the top but then has the ASUS thing in the body of the window with that extra drop down bit which looks more mac like.

Here's a screen shot of the result when I typed 'BBC.co.uk' into the search bar. Literally just does what it wants.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.54.36.png

Anyway... I don't know if any of the info i've put here is relevant but I've attempted to nutshell the situation.

Do you think this is potentially harmful or even explainable?

Cheers for the help!

Many thanks,

SP

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

At first glance from your screenshots, the checkmark in the Wi-Fi networks shows you are connected to the BTHomeHub2-22PT Wi-Fi network and not your Rory's Wi-Fi Network (AirPort). If that is not one of your networks, then switch it and see if the issue persists. If the BTHomeHub2-22PT network is saved in System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > Preferred Networks, delete it and click and drag Rory's Wi-Fi Network to the top of the list.

Also, check System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items and see if there is anything related there.

C

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was apparently an issue with my internet provider. A few settings needed to be altered their end.

Anyway, cheers for taking the time to give the advice!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries! Glad it's sorted.

Thanks for letting us know it was on their end...it was beginning to become a stumper. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question