Airport Express no longer findable on new network

Reaction score
I have just switched from BT to Virgin (cable) broadband but can no longer get Airport Express to work. The A Express unit is plugged into my hifi amplifier and is only used to stream audio wirelessly to the amp. My iMac (OS 10.7.5) is connected by cable to the router for internet access.

Airport Utility continually searches but states that No configured Airport Base stations have been found.

Using Airport Utility I entered -several times- the name and password of the new network but that information seems not to be retained i.e. under Configure other. It says Reading settings but the wheel spins endlessly. After 10 minutes I get this: An error occurred while reading the configuration.

I have also tried to set A Express to its default position but the software does not achieve this.

I tried Airport Help which tells me to select the device I wan to set up but I don’t see the device. All I see is under Window the name of my new network.

I’ve read that I need to reset the A Express unit but do not see how to do that. There is a very tiny button (?) which I have tried to push in with a paper clip but to no avail.

Wonder if any tech expert can help me. I don’t understand why it’s so complicated -I’ve always thought that the whole point of Apple products was to make life simple for the user! Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model AirPort Express?

When you switched Internet providers, the name of the Wi-Fi network probably changed. That could be why the AirPort Express (AE) cannot be seen, as it cannot connect to the new network.

Follow the steps in the link below exactly for your specific model. It can be a little tricky to push the reset button properly. An Apple Store should also be able to reset the AirPort Express to factory defaults for you.

Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model AirPort Express?

When you switched Internet providers, the name of the Wi-Fi network probably changed. That could be why the AirPort Express (AE) cannot be seen, as it cannot connect to the new network.

Follow the steps in the link below exactly for your specific model. It can be a little tricky to push the reset button properly. An Apple Store should also be able to reset the AirPort Express to factory defaults for you.

Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much for this.

I have tried to enter the new name/password for the new network though A Utility doesn't seem to retain that information.

Unfortunately, I do not know which model it is. However, from that helpful link you sent me I have found out that it is a first generation model.
I have to go out now for a while alas but when I get back I'll hope to get sorted! I just wanted to acknowledge your message.
If I have any further difficulties perhaps I could contact you?

Cheers

John

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If it is a first generation AiPort Express, it will have a model number of A1084 or A1088 printed on it. Also, when you changed Internet providers (ISP), the equipment changed as well. It could be that the new modem/router from your current ISP may not be compatible with the older AirPort Express. It can only connect via 802.11b/g, not 802.11a/b/g/n like the current model.

Just post here with any additional questions/concerns, and we'll be glad to help you out.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

If it is a first generation AiPort Express, it will have a model number of A1084 or A1088 printed on it. Also, when you changed Internet providers (ISP), the equipment changed as well. It could be that the new modem/router from your current ISP may not be compatible with the older AirPort Express. It can only connect via 802.11b/g, not 802.11a/b/g/n like the current model.

Just post here with any additional questions/concerns, and we'll be glad to help you out.

C
Not getting very far I’m afraid.

Model number is A1264 which does not correspond to the numbers on the Apple page so don’t know if first generation or not though the diagram would suggest so.

I pressed in the reset button (to attempt a soft reset) on the A Express (which is plugged into my hifi amp). It didn’t feel as if there was anything to push down. However, after a few seconds the amber light started to flash.

Instruction 3 I do not understand -what or where is the Airpot Menu bar?

So following Instruction 4 I opened Airport Utility. It says Select the Base Station. Where is that? When I go to Base Station on the menu bar all the items are faint (i.e Show Passwords, Restart, Show default settings, Add WPS printer)

Meanwhile Airport Utility (with a green Internet light) is still searching for an Airport base station.

I live near an Apple store so maybe I should take the unit in and see what they know about compatibility/

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A1264 is an AirPort Express 802.11n (First Generation). So, it does have 802.11a/b/g and draft 802.11n capability.

Instruction 3 just means the AirPort/Wi-Fi icon on the right side of the menu bar near the clock.

Instruction 4 is after you "join" the network in Instruction 3, click on the AirPort Express in the left pane of the AirPort Utility. If you can't find/didn't join the network in the previous step, it will not show up.

I would do a full Factory Default reset and start over from scratch, which is sometimes easier with two people:
Factory Default reset (using reset button)

If the device isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.
  1. Disconnect the base station's power cord.
  2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds.
C

Reaction score
A1264 is an AirPort Express 802.11n (First Generation). So, it does have 802.11a/b/g and draft 802.11n capability.

Instruction 3 just means the AirPort/Wi-Fi icon on the right side of the menu bar near the clock.

Instruction 4 is after you "join" the network in Instruction 3, click on the AirPort Express in the left pane of the AirPort Utility. If you can't find/didn't join the network in the previous step, it will not show up.

I would do a full Factory Default reset and start over from scratch, which is sometimes easier with two people:

C
Hello Cory

I have done these steps including the reset and appear to have joined the network via Network Preferences but Airport Utility still does not find the A Express base station. I will try the factory reset one more time. If that doesn't work, I'll visit Apple and see to as you suggested whether or not the new router is compatible with the unit. If not, I can of course upgrade. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello Cory..
…if you are still out there. I bought a new A Express which didn't help. Nor were Apple Support by phone. Two advisers spent 45 minutes to no avail, finally directing me to various online Support pages which were dense in information and not helpful! After attempting to make sense of this stuff and after a lot of experimenting I finally succeeded. I discovered that though the light on the A Express continues to blink amber and Airport Utility tells me it is still searching for a base station I nevertheless have made contact (feels like getting through to a station in outer space). So, using either iTunes or Air Foil I am now happily streaming via A Express to my hifi amp and speakers in the next room (as I had been doing for the previous two years). Just wanted to update you and to thank you again for taking the trouble to post your suggestions. I will now return the new A Express to my local Apple Store. Many thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...yes, I am still here, just been too busy to respond until now. :)

I am so glad you have the issue sorted out and we appreciate you giving us an update. Sorry we weren't couldn't assist more.

We're here if you need us and enjoy!

C

Ask a Question