Airport Express - Network Failure

Reaction score
I'm using Airport Express to stream my iTunes music through a stereo system. (We have two MAC minis, Time Capsule and a new high-speed modem).

The network has gone done two days in a row...when I reboot the modem and Time Capsule, the networks comes right back up.

Is it possible that something with Airport Express is causing the network to go down? (I bought Airport Express this past February, and had this problem before...but I assumed the failure was from Time Capsule, which Apple has replaced...but it's unlikely that two Time Capsules would be bad).

Much thanx.

Reaction score
Hi,

but it's unlikely that two Time Capsules would be bad).
Your TC creates its own wireless network, so you have WiFi even if you don't have an internet connection.

When peripheral trouble shooting or issue solving I almost always connect an ethernet cable or USB if printer. So I would try the following if you have not already done so.

Connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the TC directly to the computer. This way AirPort Utility will always find the TC if it has no issues, and run like this fro a while to see if it drops out again.

Also I take it all devices are running the latest firmware.

Reaction score
Hi,

Your TC creates its own wireless network, so you have WiFi even if you don't have an internet connection.

When peripheral trouble shooting or issue solving I almost always connect an ethernet cable or USB if printer. So I would try the following if you have not already done so.

Connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the TC directly to the computer. This way AirPort Utility will always find the TC if it has no issues, and run like this fro a while to see if it drops out again.

Also I take it all devices are running the latest firmware.

Thank you very much...I do have hard-wire connections from Time Capsule to the MAC minis, but not to Airport Express.

But when I lost internet, I'm pretty sure I also lost the WiFi connection to Airport Express.

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok when your TC looses network does the light remain green on the TC, also what firmware version?

Reaction score
You can't have a single Mac on 2 networks, I'm guessing when one of the devices drops the signal it swaps network.

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok when your TC looses network does the light remain green on the TC, also what firmware version?
The light stays on (green) the TC even when the net is no longer connected.

What I've done is change the Airport Express to joining the network rather than extending...so I should know over the next few says if that helps.

Thank you for your support.

Reaction score
Yesterday, Apple released updated firmware for Airport Express and Time Capsule...and I've installed both. Of course, I'll post any issues that come up.

Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Question