Installing Airport Express 802.11 Wi-Fi

Reaction score
I recently bought an Airport Express 802.11 Wi-Fi. When I plugged it into an outlet as instructed, the amber light just kept on blinking. What do I do now? My iMac is connected to a modem, a router. and an extender.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is it the current AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation)?
-Which model iMac?
-Which version of OS X?
-What brand/model modem, router, and extender?
-Are you replacing a device or adding it to your current network?

Try the AirPort Express Setup Guide from this page: AirPort Support

C

Reaction score
1. Yes, 2nd generation.
2. iMac 21.5 in, late 2013
3. macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.6
4. Modem - GPON ONU Model AN5506-04
5. Router - Belkin N600 DB Wireless N+ Router, Model: F9K1102V1
6. Extender - NetGear Model: WN3000RP
7. Adding Airport Express

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info.

Try the setup guide I linked to above. Apple's wireless devices don't normally play nice with third-parrty routers and extenders, and can be somewhat difficult to setup to join an existing network. Basically, you need to use the AirPort Utility app to set it up to join/extend your current network. You may have to switch to the "new" Apple Network XXXXXX to allow the AirPort Utility to "see" the AirPort Express, so you can go through the setup process. Also, it sometimes works better to use the AirPort Utility app on an iOS device to set it up.

Let us know where you get stuck if you aren't successful using Apple's setup guide.

C

Ask a Question