Finder can't see Airport HD

Reaction score
I have an Airport/time Capsule that is connected to a printer and three Macs.Up until a few days ago I could see the Airport HD from any of the Macs and transfer files to and from it. Now it has disappeared from Finder on all the Macs. The other Macs are visible and they all still connect to the internet without any problems.
Would my HD just die without any error messages? How can I reconnect to it or test to see if it's still alive? I've made no recent changes in the network.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
When you are in Finder, on the left hand side menu, if you hover your mouse pointer over "Shared" does 'Hide' or 'Show' appear?

Reaction score
The model number is A1355. I guess it's about 6 years old.
Thanks for the link. I'll try it.
Airport Utility says "Integrated Hard drive needs repair"
There was also a firmware update available and I tried to install it. Result: Now I've lost Wifi as well as the HD. I'm afraid it looks like this time Capsule is toast.

Any suggestions on HD recovery?

Ted

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The A1355 should be a Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Generation) with a 1 TB or 2 TB hard drive in it:
super__po-codsaptc13551t.jpg

Unfortunately, that model is now Vintage, so it cannot be repaired or swapped. Since it is no longer serviceable, you could try to removed the HD and use a HD dock or enclosure to see if it is still operational. However, the drive could have failed, and trying to get it to mount could prevent data recovery. Third-party companies charge quite a bit of money to recover data from failed hard drives...from several hundred dollars up to $1 per GB.

-Is it still accessible via Ethernet?
-Is this your only data backup, or do you have another hard drive with your files on it?

It's a tough spot to be in...sorry.

C

Ask a Question