can't find virus on finder

Reaction score
hey guys!

I've recently caught a virus on my computer, and according to Sophos antivirus software, i need to manually get rid of it myself...

the problem is that i have got no clue how to do this, as i can't even find this little bugger in finder....

any clues on how i can do this??
i work on a macbook pro with retina display 10.9.2
and this is the screenshot of what Sophos gave me:
http://i.imgur.com/uEo4Z0H.png

and I've tried simply searching up the file, and also typing up the information given in the path and filename into the go to folder function in finder, but it didn't seem to work as it said "folder not found"

any help would be appreciated :) thanks!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What type of mobile do you use … the file is hidden this is why you can't find it in Finder. To be able to find the file you need to enable the showing of hidden files on your mac. Be sure to reverse this when you are done. The full instructions follow.
  1. Open Terminal found in Finder ~> Applications ~> Utilities
  2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
  3. Press Return
  4. Hold ‘Alt’ on your keyboard, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click "Relaunch".
This will show all hidden files. To hide them again, follow the same steps but replace the Terminal command with:
  1. defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
  2. Press Return
  3. Hold ‘Alt’ on your keyboard, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click "Relaunch".
Next you need know the full path to the file as given by Sophos. In your image the full path isn't visible. You'll need to know this. At a guess the end of the file path which in your image is … /.Tr, this could be .Trash but that's a guess. If you resize the window as big as possible the full file path should then be visible. In Finder under the "Go" menu, select "Go To Folder" then copy/paste the full file path there & press "Go". Then just follow the manual removal instructions from Sophos.

I don't know if this is a threat to Mac OS or not.

Reaction score
Mobile? You mean a mobile phone? I think i misunderstood the question...

and when i tried to perform step 4, holding the alt button and right clicking on the Finder icon, i couldn't see an option, reading 'Relaunch' .... is this alt button the Option button??

im so sorry, but i may have performed something wrong here, could you clarify it in simpler terms some how?

and I've tried making the window larger, for some odd reason, i can't :/ i tried to drag the window on the lower right, but the mouse wouldn't change, and the '+' button on the top left wasn't available either...

thank you so much!

and according to research on the type of virus, it says that it changes data within the mac, so id like for the virus to be out of the system as quick as possible...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you use Time Machine?

I've reread your first post & I can see the file Sophos is reporting is in the MobileBackups directory which is a kind of snapshot of your system. So disregard my previous post & this will hopefully help you understand things.

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions: 30. What are Local Snapshots

Read through this & especially the section: Turning Snapshots ON or OFF manually

It might purge your system of this unwanted file if you turn the Snapshots off the reboot then turning them on again & running a Sophos scan. You'll need to log into your Admin account to do this

It will take a while for the system to delete the folder. It is renamed instantly to ".MobileBackups.trash" and consequently deleted. You will notice a slower Mac and the fans could start up. But after a few minutes everything should be back to normal.

Reaction score
It is a simple glitch in Sophos you have to click the little gear in the bottom left, then click options, then a little pop-up window will appear and you will click options again the there will be a scroll-down menu, change the first one to "clean up the threat" then run the scan again. It should remove it!

Ask a Question