Email keeps opening in Safari

Reaction score
I use firefox but half of my emails have started opening in Safari. I don't want them to open with Safari, how do I fix this?

Reaction score
OK, to do that, you would either have to start up an EMail program and/or use a browser to access them on AT&T's site. My setup is similar, as Comcast is my ISP. But to retrieve my EMail, I launch Thunderbird, which is an EMail program. And I have Thunderbird setup to receive EMails from Comcast only. Which one do you start up?

I also have EMail accounts with google (Gmail), and hotmail, but I do not have any of their EMails "come" into Thunderbird. Instead, I access them through my browser, Google Chrome (if I wanted to, I could access my Comcast EMails through my browser, too).

So, the question is how do to "get to" your EMails at AT&T? As it is, it seems you use Firefox as your primary browser, but you stated "I use firefox but half of my emails have started opening in Safari". How are you accessing them with Safari?

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, to do that, you would either have to start up an EMail program and/or use a browser to access them on AT&T's site. My setup is similar, as Comcast is my ISP. But to retrieve my EMail, I launch Thunderbird, which is an EMail program. And I have Thunderbird setup to receive EMails from Comcast only. Which one do you start up?

I also have EMail accounts with google (Gmail), and hotmail, but I do not have any of their EMails "come" into Thunderbird. Instead, I access them through my browser, Google Chrome (if I wanted to, I could access my Comcast EMails through my browser, too).

So, the question is how do to "get to" your EMails at AT&T? As it is, it seems you use Firefox as your primary browser, but you stated "I use firefox but half of my emails have started opening in Safari". How are you accessing them with Safari?
I have El Capitan on my iMac, I open my email every morning in the dock, I have to double click on an email to read it, if I want it to open further when I click on it it opens with Safari half the time even though I'm using Firefox. It isn't doing it everytime though. I just tried to open one that has been opening with Safari the last 10 times I've tried but just now it opened with Firefox. I haven't a clue what's going on.

Reaction score
Still confusing. How does an EMail "wind up" in the dock? Have you set something up (possibly through a preference setting) to have EMails "land" in your dock? And what happens when you have, say, 10 new EMails? Are all 10 of them "in" your cock? EMails do not arrive "on their own" to the dock, unless something is going on?

Now, if you have your EMail program in the dock, then it would make sense that you would have to click on that program's icon to read your EMails.

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.59.46 PM.png
This is my dock, (& yes I have WAY too many emails that need to go) I click on Mail each morning to get my email, I never look at Yahoo mail
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.59.46 PM.png

Reaction score
OK, that makes a lot more sense. Thus, Mail is your EMail client. I would assume you first click on the icon for Mail, then see a "list" of all your EMails in your in box (and Sent box), including new ones. It's when you click on any one in your in box (new or already read) that "some" of them then launch Safari and you read them there. Is all that correct so far?

For those that get "sent" to Safari, it would seem to be the case that Safari goes to the site for AT&T and the message gets opened, so that you can read it. Again, is that accurate?

For the ones that don't get sent to Safari, you can read them normally with Mail, correct?

When did this start happening? Do you remember any kind of "event" that occurred right around that time?

Reaction score
If I click on an email, it opens-I can read it but if I need to go to their site (example-say Amazon) I have to click again & it should go to Firefox to open but some emails try to open with Safari. They all used to open only with Firefox, I can't understand why some have started this, I don't want to open with Safari, only Firefox. I don't know what has caused this to start & it's not everytime.......:confused:

Ask a Question