Transfer email only?

Reaction score
Migration Assistant will only transfer email from one computer to another along with other settings and preferences not limited to email.

What I want: A way to transfer my email settings and locally stored messages from one computer to another, or to maintain mirrored email setups on two computers.

It would be convenient if copying the whole of ~/Library/Mail were sufficient, but while it contains all of the messages and attachments, it must be missing identifiers or other configuration data.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There isn't a way to use Migration Assistant to migrate only email and the Mail app's settings.

The best way to keep a mirrored copy of email on two Macs, is to setup the email account on both as IMAP, and create folders to store mail on the server, not locally on your Mac.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Who is your email provider?
-How much email is stored on the Mac you want to mirror/clone?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

There isn't a way to use Migration Assistant to migrate only email and the Mail app's settings.

The best way to keep a mirrored copy of email on two Macs, is to setup the email account on both as IMAP, and create folders to store mail on the server, not locally on your Mac.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Who is your email provider?
-How much email is stored on the Mac you want to mirror/clone?

C
macOS 10.14.2
I use two: iCloud, and my university's (MS?) "Exchange" system
I would guess I have about 5GB that I would like to be able to mirror.

Most of my email doesn't matter after a month or so, but I like to keep many years worth of emails from my sister, a few close friends, and those containing passwords or unlock codes. These are for reference, so I like to have them at hand on whatever computer I'm using.

I haven't found an app that can export, say, my Mail folder called "Passwords" and index them in a way that is as convenient as Mail itself. (I own Email Archiver Pro, but I'm having difficulty giving it access to local Mail folders.)

Ask a Question