File transfer

Ceb

Reaction score
I have an iMac late 2009 with a Time Capsule as the backup scource connected via ethernet cable.
I am going to upgrade to a new iMac and i need to transfer backup files from the Time Capsule to a new backup source.
Time Capsule has 1 USB2 output and any new equipment has USB3 inputs, how can I transfer my backup files?

Reaction score
OK< on your Time Capsule drive now, what exactly do you hav eon it? If any of it contains Time Machine backups, this link describes how to "transfer" those backups to a new drive:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202380

For any other types of files, you should just be able to "drag and drop" them.

Regarding the new drive, will it be a new external drive (together with the new iMac), or is it the internal drive on the new iMac?

Ceb

Reaction score
Time Capsule has only Time Machine backups on it.
My concern with the new drive was the different USB connections i.e USB-2 TO USB-3 as my current iMac has only USB-2.
Am I right in understanding that this is not a problem?
I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the type and make of the external hard drive, my storage needs would be no more than 2Tb.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
You connect an external device that is either USB-2 or USB-3 to any USB port on your iMac. However, if it is a USB-2 device connected to a USB-3, the transfer speed will be at the one for the USB-2 device. So, you actually can connect your USB-2 Time Capsule to your iMac.

As for an external drive, Seagate ones are the "best", in terms of behaving "nicely" with Macs. But if you can afford it, an SSD drive will be way faster.

What "kind" of internal drive will the iMac you plan on purchasing have?

Ceb

Reaction score
According to the info. on the Mac. site the unit will have a
1TB Fusion Drive
Configurable to 256GB, 512GB or 1TB SSD

Reaction score
So, what exact kind of internal drive will you be getting? I have heard of some issues with Fusion Drives. If I was making such a purchase, I would go with a "pure" SSD. Although a 5132 gig or 1 TB SSD from Apple is expensive, you could go with a 256 gig SSD, and then buy an external SSD drive. Yesterday Amazon had the excellent Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD for $68 (plus tax, where applicable)! That is definitely the cheapest price I have seen (I paid about $87 (including tax) when I purchased one in November from Best Buy).

Ask a Question