NAS transfer file issue (only works: change extension to .txt then back to original extension)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We have a new NAS system (Synology) and use it to exchange .dxf files from Pc to Mac. We can transfer those .dxf files through USB drives and it works without a problem.

When we copy/paste the .dxf files from PC to NAS, then NAS to Mac, those .dxf files can't be read on our Mac: our software to convert .dxf files does not recognize the file. To give you a better idea, this software only display .dxf files, not any other extension, so it should see those files.

I found the following fix: rename the extension to .txt and then rename it back to .dxf. The software then recognizes the file. We can change the extension before, but also AFTER the transfer, which means that the file integrity through Synology is fine.

Considering that the file integrity is not the issue and that USB drives do not create this issue, does anyone have an idea what settings to check?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-How are the USB flash and NAS drives formatted?
-Have you tried compressing the files into an archive, copying to the NAS, copying to Mac, then unarchiving?
-There are two forms of DXF files - ASCII and binary. Maybe that has something to do with the issue?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

-The USB flash is formatted in FAT32.
-The NAS is formatted in Btrfs (When setting up Synology, it only offers two choices of file format: Btrfs or ext4)
-I tried to change pretty much all the possible settings in File Exchange, but it doesn't change anything.

Also, it might not be relevant, but in case it helps: when I transfer the .dxf on the computer: the icon next to the file is blank. When I change it to .txt, it fills the icon with "fake text" and when I switch it back to .dxf, it keeps that icon with text.

Do you think ext4 would be better for cross-platform sharing?

I attached a few pictures (this Mac screenshots don't have any extension and I can't open them on Windows), sorry for the bad quality. The last picture is showing our software only seeing the file modified and not seeing the regular .dxf file.

s1.jpg s2.jpg s3.jpg s4.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question