How can I bridge an ethernet-connected NAS through my iMac via wifi to the modem/router?

Reaction score
Running El Capitan 10.11.6

I've just upgraded my broadband to fibre.

To get the fastest speeds, my modem/router needs to be plugged directly into the master phone socket. Which is some distance from my iMac. I can connect my iMac by wifi to the modem/router and that all works well - web, mail, etc all work on the iMac. I can also connect by wifi my Apple TV, iPad and iPhone to the internet - no problems.

For backup I have an external NAS drive connected by ethernet to the iMac - I want to retain this ethernet connection because on occassion I might be backing up Gb of data from other external HDDs connected to the iMac which I'd prefer not to do over wifi.

The problem is the modem/router doesn't "see" the NAS drive. The NAS drive and ethernet interface of the iMac seem to be a standalone setup and not connected to the local network established by the modem/router.

I would like the NAS drive to be visible to the network to allow me to save from the iPad or iPhone to the NAS drive.

Now, I thought the way to do this would be to setup a bridge between the ethernet and the wifi. When I try to do this, everything locks up ...

So, how do I get the ethernet-connected NAS to become part of the local network?

Thanks,

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which brand/model is the router?
-Do you own it, or is it leased from your ISP?
-Who is your ISP?

You may be able to use an Ethernet switch in your configuration, which should allow everything on your network to "see" the NAS.

C

Reaction score
It's a Netgear D6220 which I own. ISP is Plusnet through John Lewis Broadband.

I already have an ethernet switch between the NAS and iMac, which allows me to connect other devices to the Mac via ethernet. The problem is I would have to run a rather long ethernet cable through the house to connect the modem/router which is downstairs, plugged into the phone master socket.

As I said, I thought the easy solution would be, in the iMac network preferences, to set up a bridge between the wifi and ethernet interfaces ... except that locks eveything up.

Ask a Question