Powerbook G4 Wireless Bridge?

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently living close to my school which has internet access I can use, but unfortunately my powerbook G4 OS 10.4.11 cannot reach the internet from my apartment so I was trying to figure out how to somehow extend my wireless reception from the G4 and create a bridge to my Airport Express to create a wireless network...

I realize that using the express to extend that network to my place would make more sense, but unfortunately I have tried the airport express and the airport extreme to extend the network, and while the extreme can pick up the signal from my apartment (the express cannot), once I try to extend the network the extreme becomes no longer findable through my computer and I have to give it a complete reset to make changes. Thus my dilemma...

One thought I had for a solution and was wondering if it would work or not, is to purchase something like quickertek's "quicky" (http://www.quickertek.com/products/Quicky.php) and plug that into my G4 so I can hopefully be in range of my schools internet, and then try to create a bridge from my G4 to my airport express to create a wirless network.

I have the password for my school's network in my keychain so it logs me on automatically, so I am hoping that if I can connect my G4 to the internet and extend that "connected" signal I will be able to provide wireless to my place...

Will this work? Thanks for your help and time.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if I'm reading this correctly... you want to be able to hook up to your Schools wireless network from home ? But the signal is not strong enough...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
If that's the case then using a bridge will only work if you can place it in the middle of the two points ie between the School and your home...to help bump the signal along...won''t that be in the middle of a street ;-)

Reaction score
Perhaps my wording of "bridge" is incorrect, but basically I am wondering if I can use something like "Quicky" from Quickertek to connect to my G4 powerbook which would hopefully allow me to reach the signal at my school... Assuming that I am able to achieve this, would I then be able to take the signal that my computer was achieving and through an ethernet connection between my G4 and my airport express, create a wireless network with the express? So it would look something like this:

School --> Quicky/G4 --> Ethernet from G4 to Express --> Express create wirless network --> other computers have ability to connect to wireless network created by express

Thanks

Ask a Question