Transfer Files: Firewire 400 Macbook to Firewire 800 iMac

Reaction score
Hi all, could use some advice...

I need to regularly transfer files from a Macbook (Firewire 400) to an iMac (Firewire 800). What's the easiest way?

1) Both machines connected to our wifi. No ethernet cable connection. I can't seem to figure out how to transfer files over our network. Should this be possible?

2) How about target mode? In this case, would the following cable work? Firewire 400 to Firewire 800, male to male.

3) I also have a 400 to 800 adapter. Should I get a FW 400 cable instead?

I'm getting a bit confused about cables on Amazon. I need male to male, right?

4) Both machines have USB 2. Any options here?

Many thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-You can enable  > Sharing > File Sharing, then transfer the files over the network that way. It is VERY fast on my network - I have all my Macs connected via Gigabit Ethernet.
-You could use an external hard drive.
-Target Disk Mode would work, but it's kind of a pain to restart one of the Macs every time you want to transfer files.
-Yes, a FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 cable (male to male) would work for Target Disk Mode. If you have an adapter, you could also use a FW 400 to FW 400 cable with the adapter.
-Connecting the Macs via USB wouldn't work.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, much appreciated. I discovered to my joy that I already had a FW 400 cable laying around. I used that to connect the two machines directly (via a 400=>800 adapter) and now all is well. I'm amazed at how little I know about networking! DUHHhhh...... :)

Ask a Question