Blue white G3 no monitor, how to transfer files?

Reaction score
I have a blue white G3 with no monitor. I want to get all the files off so I can turn it in at the Apple Store.

I have an iMac half circle machine, a white G3? G4 notebook and my current MacBook Pro.

Firewire target mode did not work. Ethernet did not work. I am sure the G3 that I have not used in ten years does not have file sharing activated.

Is there anything I can do to get the files out that does not involve taking the hd out and hooking it up with the usb thing ( which has never worked for me) or finding an old monitor?

Not too tech savvy but seriously there isn't some kind of hack to get my paws on those files?
Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If Target Disk Mode (TDM) didn't work, then you basically have two options:
-Find a monitor you can use with the Power Mac to see what is going on
-Remove the drive and use some kind of dock or enclosure

Some additional questions:
-Does the Power Mac chime when started? It could just need a PRAM battery replacement.
-Do you remember which version of Mac OS was on it?
-Which Mac did you connect it to for TDM?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. I'm not sure what OS, I probably last used it in 2005. Must be 9?

I know how to zap the pram but it is chiming.

I have read that the Blue white G3 didn't work in Target mode, which is my experience.

I tried to access it via my iMac. It is an iMac g4. It is running in some 10 OS but also has 9 installed, could run in "classic" 9 emulation or something. I also have a white iBook and a Macbook Pro.

I have not had any good enclosure experience. I had 2 quadras, took out hard drives, enclosures didn't work and then sent the hard drives to somebody to get the files out and they said I broke the hard drives, oh my ......

So there is no hack to get into the G3, to open the file sharing? I guess I need to find a monitor.
I am so far removed from external monitors, I have no idea what will work. OMG could it be a SCSI connection?
My husband has an external monitor from about 2008, pc, could that work?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yeah, I forgot that that model didn't support TDM.

No hacks to enable things, especially since it is unknown what OS, and if it is starting up all the way.

The monitor can't be a connected via SCSI. It has a VGA connection, so any VGA monitor should work.

C

Ask a Question