Can magic mouse 2 be run from a bluetooth v4 dongle

Reaction score
Hi before i sell my new MM2,because neither mm1 or mm2 works with el cap -and yes ive tried EVERYTHING to fix the lag etc,but guess what my Logitech mouse with usb dongle works great (but no swipe action).Ive just seen a site where on downloading the magic mouse drivers on a PC with bluetooth v3 dongle MM2 works ! .ive got a mini mac 09 with bluetooth v2.1 so can this be bypassed with a better version of Bluetooth,or is it that El cap is interfering with the driver so it wont make any difference ?.

I used to run this minimac from an imac via screen share and MM1 worked ok ! even with el cap.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Both the Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2 are supported in Mac OS X El Capitan. Not sure why you are experiencing any lag. Any other issues beside lag?

You cannot upgrade the Bluetooth hardware version in any Mac. The Mac minis from 2009 have Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. Newer models have later versions of Bluetooth. El Capitan is not interfering, nor does it have anything to do with the version of Bluetooth. Also, there are only standalone drivers for the Magic Mouse for Windows, since OS X has the drivers built-in.

Something else must be causing the issue you are having. Are you having any other issues? Have you tried attaching a USB mouse, deleting the Magic Mouse from Bluetooth Preferences, then re-adding it?

C

Ask a Question