Apple Magic Mouse Disconnect Issue

Reaction score
I've been annoyed by this issue for a long time. I bought a Magic Mouse about eight months ago. At first I couldn't use it at all with my Mac due to the OS X system compatibility issue (but resolved later after upgrading my mac to El Capitan).

But there is one bug that still holds -- the disconnecting issue. Sometimes it disconnects and reconnects automatically, and when that happens, there is about two seconds I can't move the cursor.

Anybody encountered this? Solution?

Thanks in advance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Is it a Magic Mouse 1 or 2, do you know because 2 has a built in battery so there's that difference ...

Reaction score
It's a Magic Mouse 2. Yeah...I know that. So I always charge it now and then. Right now it's 32% full (I think it should be okay), but the disconnect issue happened today.

Reaction score
I've been annoyed by this issue for a long time. I bought a Magic Mouse about eight months ago. At first I couldn't use it at all with my Mac due to the OS X system compatibility issue (but resolved later after upgrading my mac to El Capitan).

But there is one bug that still holds -- the disconnecting issue. Sometimes it disconnects and reconnects automatically, and when that happens, there is about two seconds I can't move the cursor.

Thanks in advance.
As far as I recall this is not a new problem. I have had two [battery] bluetooth connected Magic Mice for several years now and use them on a MacBook (white 2009) and a 2011 I-mac. Both disconnect & re-connect randomly so much so that I generally use the track pad. Often too, the mouse will not respond to a selection though apparently remaining connected. This means that the mouse doesn't make the right selection from the dock, for example - not activating the chosen icon - and instead offering a drop-down window. Not a big problem, just a waste of money!

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, "PaBear". I appreciate you sharing your experience of using Magic Mouse. It seems it's a known issue for years, not sure why Apple hasn't tackle it yet. I'm kind of addicted to relying on a mouse for navigation (due to the habit in the PC age), though the Mac trackpad is not bad. Thanks again for your answer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reaction score
This not only affect the Apple Mouse I have a Logitech mouse and have see same symptoms and looks like the matchbook fix might be needed here as well

Reaction score
I'm particularly fond of the Logitech M510 mouse for about $29. It's wireless and works with a small (1/2" x 3/4") unifying receiver plugged into any USB port. "Unifying" because it can handle more than one Logitech device should that circumstance arise. It runs on two AA batteries, and it's smart enough to go to sleep when it's not being used, so the batteries really last. They would last even longer if you turned it off when you're finished with it, but I don't bother -- I doubt that it would add that much life to them.

Left and right clicking is just the start, though. It has page forward and backward with your right thumb, and the scroll wheel is a marvel unto itself. Of course it scrolls up and down, it scrolls left and right by tipping the wheel, and if you click with it, you'll get an indicator on the screen and the image will scroll up or down smoothly with a slight drag of the mouse. The further you drag it, the faster it will scroll. Click it again to turn off this feature. Its SetPoint software gives you full control over what keys do what things.

Just recently, I had to bury my first-born M510 -- I have 5 or 6 spread among various parts of my extended family -- because its laser finally gave up the ghost. I don't know how many years I had it.

It's comfortable to hold, it's at least twice as tall as the Magic Mouse, and it comes in pretty colors.

What's not to love?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, "BudVitoff". It seems Logitech mouse is more solid than Magic Mouse, apart from the price advantage (the Apple Mouse cost me about $80). Hm, this makes me doubt whether the Magic Mouse is really "magic"...kind of ironic, isn't it. Anyway, I appreciate that you share your personal opinion with me.

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I have found in recent days that the Magic Mouse issue has changed slightly. [I have two mouses, one paired with my 2011 I-Mac, the other with my new week-old 13-inch MacBook Pro].
The one paired with the i-Mac remains flaky but the one on the new MBP behaves perfectly. The two mouses are identical and are of similar age. New batteries make no difference.
A little mystery.

Reaction score
Hi "PaBear", thanks for sharing your observations. Yep, somehow it's a mystery. Another reason that the same Apple Mouse behaved differently on your iMac and MBP could be due to Bluetooth technology difference. I just checked latest MBP tech specifics from Apple website, it's with Bluetooth 4.2; While your 2011 iMac (and other older Mac models like mine) is most likely equipped with Bluetooth 4.0. Anyway, I've learned to bear with the issue.

Happy holidays!

Ask a Question