Phone sounds and bluetooth

Reaction score
When my iPhone is connected to a bluetooth device like my car or a headset, I can hear the phone ring through the bluetooth device, but I don't hear any sound when I get an instant message. My DND is not on and the mute button isn't on either. I first noticed this in my car and the other day I connected a headset and realized the problem existed with the headset as well. Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model iPhone?
-Which version of iOS?
-If you use the Control Center and Bluetooth, is there a choice of where to send the notification sounds?

I don't have any Bluetooth devices to test it out with.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model iPhone?
-Which version of iOS?
-If you use the Control Center and Bluetooth, is there a choice of where to send the notification sounds?

I don't have any Bluetooth devices to test it out with.

C
- iPhone 8S
- iOS 11.3
- I don't see a choice on where to send notification sounds.

Thanks for helping.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Do you have an Apple Watch that your iPhone may be paired with?
-Is the headset always connected and with you?
-Have you tried unpairing and repairing with the car and the headset?

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Do you have an Apple Watch that your iPhone may be paired with?
-Is the headset always connected and with you?
-Have you tried unpairing and repairing with the car and the headset?

C

- I don't have an Apple Watch
- I have a headset but I make sure it is disconnected when I'm not using it. (I figured that out the hard way)
- I've done the pairing a couple times. This is a new phone, about a month old. My old phone had the same issue. I tried asking Chevy but they don't know anything about it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since I don't have the ability to test it, it may be best to go to an Apple Store, or contact AppleCare by phone. It figures that the car manufacturers don't have much knowledge about it. ;)

I have heard that many people have this issue. Here's quote from a post in another forum I found that you could try:

"When your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to your vehicle, you should be able to access the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Afterwards, the name of your car or car's feature, should be visible just above the bottom row of icons. For those with an Apple TV, "AirPlay" will be displayed there. Anyway, if you tap on the name of your car, you will see "iPhone" as another choice to select. If you opt to select "iPhone", your text and email notifications will be heard through the iPhone's speakers whereas any call notifications will be heard via the vehicle's speakers. This is a workaround that allows you to play your radio in your car and still hear the aforementioned notifications."

C

Reaction score
Since I don't have the ability to test it, it may be best to go to an Apple Store, or contact AppleCare by phone. It figures that the car manufacturers don't have much knowledge about it. ;)

I have heard that many people have this issue. Here's quote from a post in another forum I found that you could try:

"When your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to your vehicle, you should be able to access the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Afterwards, the name of your car or car's feature, should be visible just above the bottom row of icons. For those with an Apple TV, "AirPlay" will be displayed there. Anyway, if you tap on the name of your car, you will see "iPhone" as another choice to select. If you opt to select "iPhone", your text and email notifications will be heard through the iPhone's speakers whereas any call notifications will be heard via the vehicle's speakers. This is a workaround that allows you to play your radio in your car and still hear the aforementioned notifications."

C
Thanks so much for the info! I'll try that.

Reaction score
Let us know if that works for you.

C

I couldn't find the icon like where they noted but I did see it. So I turned it off and then on and thought I heard the vibration noise when I received an email. No on texted me yet while I was driving so we will see what happens.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...I can't think of anything further. I have read many reports of people having the same issue with all manufacturers.

I will keep an eye out,

C

Reaction score
Hmmm...I can't think of anything further. I have read many reports of people having the same issue with all manufacturers.

I will keep an eye out,

C

Thank you! I don't get why this is an issue. My cousin has a Cadillac with no issues and my sister has a Kia with no issues. Why is my Chevy Equinox an issue? Who knows. I shouldn't be reading texts while driving anyway I guess. But thanks for keeping an eye out!

Ask a Question