iPhone XR updates

Reaction score
on my new (2 months) XR I have automatic updates turned off. But I don't get the little red circle with a 1 inside over the settings icon when an update is available so I don't know to check. But even more frustrating is that at some point predetermined by Apple, my phone quits working correctly - specifically, I can make or receive a call but it "self terminates" after less than 5 seconds. (I can still txt tho) I guess this is some sort of BS prompt to check the settings. Is there any way around this? It seems stupid and insane. What if I'm in a dangerous or emergency situation and must make a call to avoid a disaster? I don't think the Tsumani will pause while I download and install an update. Or call an ambulance for a traffic wreck. Anyway...... Thoughts? Fixes?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like there may be a hardware issue. Apple would tell you to perform a hard reset, and possible an erase and restore of iOS.

-Which version of iOS are you running?
-Who is your cellular provider?
-Have you tried a hard reset?
-Does it drop calls in areas with bad cellular coverage, or in the same places?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me Cory. To answer your questions:
- Verizon
- I'm now running iOS 12.1.3. I was on the iOS just previous to this one (12.1.2?? - I try to stay updated)) Upgrading to 12.1.3 solved my call dropping problem, which occurred everywhere - 5 bar territory included.
- haven't/didn't do a hard reset. (don't know how)

At issue for me is that I'm no longer notified, via the 1 in the red circle over the settings icon, that an update is available. (my 6 always did this. friends with 8s still get this) My first indication is connectivity issues. I find this dangerous as well as inconvenient. (and STUPID).
FYI - I have auto updates turned off because my home is in an area without cell coverage and I don't want things getting messed up by downloads or installs getting stopped in the middle while I'm driving home, etc. For Years! I just looked for the 1 in the red circle and in a timely manner installed the upgrade. Seems like a simple and viable system. Why would Apple change it? Is this problem only with iPhone X? Is there a way around it? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem, thanks for the additional information.

If you were running iOS 12.1 or earlier, the 12.1.1 and later updates addressed some call dropping issues with the XR.

As for the update notification, you could try a couple of things:
-Close all apps completely and power off/on your iPhone
-Try changing your setting in Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates
-How much free space is left - Settings > General > About > Available

C

Ask a Question