Apps not opening when selecting doc

Reaction score
In the past few weeks, apps like Preview, Word docs, Text Edit, etc. no longer open when I double-click on a file. They always opened automatically when selecting a document, image etc. Suddenly, I get messages "Preview is not open." I have to go through multiple steps to open app, scroll, select, open doc. Maybe there was an auto update? Can I change my settings to open when I select a doc, image etc??

Reaction score
right click on the file you want to open and select 'Get Info' you can the select the application you want to open the file with. Remember to click change all, so that all files with the same ext will open with that app.

Reaction score
right click on the file you want to open and select 'Get Info' you can the select the application you want to open the file with. Remember to click change all, so that all files with the same ext will open with that app.

Reaction score
Thanks but I did that. Get Info shows it's set to open in Preview, and so are all other files like this one. But when I click on the jpeg nothing opens. Preview appears but doesn't open the file. I have to choose Preview open / scroll and select a file, click to open it. A jpeg or PDF used to automatically open in Preview just by clicking on it. I'm working on a MacBookPro in OSX 10.5, using gmail in Firefox.

Also, when I click on About This Mac in the Apple menu, a window with allmy computer info used to pop up...serial number, OSX, etc. Now nothing. Don'[t know how to access that either.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
ronulty have you rebooted your MBP recently? If not ... first try Repairing Permissions using Disc Utility then reboot your MBP & report back.

Also, check how much free space you have available.

Reaction score
Forgive my plebian grasp of tech basics but I don't know what MBP refers to or how to find it. Don't know where to check for space availability. As I mentioned, the About This Mac info in the Apple menu is also not opening up either.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
MBP = MacBook Pro

If you select your MBP's hard drive icon on the Desktop & right click it then select Get Info, you'll find the information listed under General. If you can't see any information under General then click on the disclosure triangle to the left of the word "General" to reveal the info.

Ask a Question