opening applications - hosed!

Reaction score
When I select an application from the dock, my system opens up the Applications folder instead of opening up the application. What's going on? I reboot, and same thing. This is really annoying.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try to force quit the Dock and it will restart. It's a Terminal command:

killall Dock

Let us know if that works.

C

Reaction score
Well, I reset PRAM and SNC and things are working now. Not completely clear that did it, but things are fixed.

Reaction score
Problem is back again, and PRAM reset didn't fix it. Killall Dock didn't fix it either. Lots of other stuff not working.

Reaction score
Wonder if it could be a combination of "hosed" permissions and/or some sort of adware/malware. I know you have Onyx, so that can be used to fix permissions. For the possible adware/malware issue, you should download and run the excellent freeware program Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

You can also try the excellent virus checker program ClamXAv, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

You can use it it demo/trial mode for 30 days. It is an excellent.

I guess the other thing is if you had a more robust disk cleanup/maintenance/repair program like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro to try and help with this issue.

Other than that, you might need to do a complete clean, fresh installation of El Capitan (I believe that is the OS you are using), then "migrate"/copy all your needed "stuff" from your backup. As I mentioned in another thread to you, going through that process with a SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner backup is much easier and smoother.

Reaction score
Heh. I think I figured it out. You know how you can make the Application folder open up when you select an application in the dock? You press the command key while you're selecting it. Whoa. I believe my ancient crumb-catcher keyboard had the command key engaged (though the key itself wasn't stuck down). I exercised the key a bit, and things improved. Though it still happened occasionally and, you know what? When I disconnect my keyboard, the problem goes away entirely! I need a new keyboard!!!

I should say that other strange things were happening in other applications, and even when I booted to a clone, the same problems were happening.

By the way, a good strategy for checking out a flaky keyboard is to unplug your keyboard and screen share with another machine. When I did that, using the SAME computer and the SAME applications, everything worked great.

Last edited:

Ask a Question