Preview avoidance?

Reaction score
I'm using 10.11.4 on several machines. I prefer to open my pdfs in Preview, instead of Acrobat Reader, because it offers some rudimentary editing and compression capabilities. So I do "Get Info" on a pdf, select Preview in "Open with:", and tell it to open all such mime-types with Preview. It does. For a while. And then suddenly, my pdfs are all opening in Acrobat Reader. Huh? Whaaa? When I go to "Open with:" on that file, Preview isn't even offered as a natural selection. I have to go bore down and locate it.

It smells to me like some application is switching my defaults, and making it a little troublesome to restore the default to Preview. Anyone know what's going on? I guess I could just trash Acrobat Reader, but it's sometimes useful.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Does this preference change when you open a PDF with Acrobat Reader? Maybe there is a setting in it that automatically changes PDFs to open with it? I can't double-check that currently, as I won't install any Adobe or Microsoft products on my personal Macs.

C

Reaction score
I almost never intentionally open a pdf with Acrobat Reader. But all of a sudden, all my pdfs want to open with it, and I have to reset the default. Something is resetting the default, and hiding Preview as an option for that resetting.

Ask a Question