Weird Safari Problem

Reaction score
Running Safari 12.1.1 on 2015 iMac OS Mojave with 1.6 Ghz Intel i5. Bluetooth Apple Keyboard. My problem is whenever I open Safari and go to any site like Facebook, or Yahoo Answers and try to use the keyboard to type it will not respond. I can quit and reopen Safari and the keyboard works perfectly. I have cleaned out all history and cookies to no avail. Have disable the only 2 extensions I use and that did not help. This happens every single morning and sometimes later on in the day. This has me stumped. Any idea?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That is a strange issue...haven't come across that one before.

-Does it happen on all websites, or just those you mentioned?
-Do you happen to have Adobe Flash installed?
-Have you tried another browser like Google Chrome of Firefox?

C

Reaction score
It happens on all websites randomly. It only happens with Safari. I do have Adobe Flash and Java installed. I tried disabling them both but that did not solve the problem. Every time I close and reopen Safari the problem is solved. But later on in the day the problem may or may not return. I cannot figure this out.

Reaction score
Ran Malwarebytes and Avast. Both showed no infection. Google Chrome works perfectly. The issue is only with Safari which is the browser I want to use.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It is definitely an issue in Safari then, and good there is no malware. Normally, that issue is caused by a Safari Extension.

-What Extensions do you have installed, whether they are enabled or not?
-Also, try unchecking Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Stop plug-ins to save power

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have Honey and WOT installed. Disabled them and that did not help. I have had these extensions for over 2 years and this just started about 2 months ago. Checked Stop Plug-Ins to save power. Will see if that helps.

Reaction score
Checking Stop Plug-Ins to save power did not help. I may have solved the problem. I went to the Advanced section of Safari preferences. I then clicked Show Develop in the menu bar. Develop appeared in the menu. I clicked Develop and then clicked Empty Caches. As of this moment that seems to have solved my problem. Not 100% sure as of yet. Will verify this after a day or two.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

-Who is your ISP?
-Have you tried power-cycling your router?
-Do you have a VPN?

C

Reaction score
ISP is AT&T. I have no VPN. Do not know what power-cycling is unless you mean turning it off and on.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I will do a bit more research with some colleagues to see if they have heard of this issue as well.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, it has me baffled. I have tried everything I know to do with no good results.

Reaction score
Update: Today I was on a website typing and th keyboard suddenly stopped responding. Shut down Safari and when I open it again all was well. Never stopped in the middle of me typing before if that means anything.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

I am still looking into it. On my iMac running Safari 12.1.12 in High Sierra, I am now experiencing random complete freezes. The entire computer freezes - no mouse or keyboard input possible. Lasts about 30-60 seconds, then goes back to normal. I have been diagnosing this as well since I spoke to you last.

Will keep at it.

C

Ask a Question