weird results in firefox & safari...

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the correct place to post, but since it's a similar result in multiple browsers, I assume it's not just the application (please let me know or move post if not the right place).

I just got a new iMac a couple of weeks ago, so I've installed all my software, including a trial of virusbarrier (OS X 10.6.4). I've started getting weird results in the last few days when I type a search into the search box to the right of the address bar, in both firefox and safari. (I took a screenshot, but it's just on my desktop, and I can't figure out how to upload it without it being stored on the web somewhere).

I will get seemingly normal search results, but when I click on one, a blank window will open -the tab will say something like "default.jsp (GIF Image, 1x1 pixels)" and the address bar will say "http://ad.doubleclick.net;clk;211123005;3268........." (very long string of nonsense). This doesn't happen all the time, but 50% of the time or more. I thought maybe since I installed the virusbarrier with the privacy settings it could be the problem, but I set it to permit outgoing connections in firefox and safari - so presumably that would keep those apps from having any issues. Since I installed quite a bit of software all in a couple of days, I'm not really sure if it started right after virusbarrier installation or not - could certainly be something else, but it makes searching in google (or yahoo, etc.) virtually pointless. Any help is appreciated.

Ask a Question