Weird Apple Logo issue.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used MacBook Pro 3,1 off ebay for $130.00. There is a weird issue with the Apple logo on the back of the screen that wasn't in the description photos. There appears to be somekind of material outlined in black marker underneath the glowing logo. It really doesn't bother me, unless it might cause other issues down the road. The scratch on the back was in the description, but not the weird material underneath the logo. Does anybody have any idea what it might be? Should I return it? I've included some pictures. Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Renick Marsh
IMG1230.JPG
IMG1231.JPG
IMG1232.JPG

Reaction score
The seller offered a refund, but I decided to keep the laptop after all. After some extensive research it looks like the material behind the Apple logo is just a paper/film like filter. If it ever drops below the Apple logo, I'll just take the back of the screen off, and remove or replace the filter myself. It doesn't look that difficult...knock on wood. I think the sticky filter came loose during shipping. Anyway, all's good...no worries :) The following is a link to a YouTube video that shows how to replace the film.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Renick Marsh

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

Yes, it shouldn't affect anything. However, correcting the issue as you posted is a lot more difficult than it looks. Components can be easily damaged by performing those steps. Even Apple doesn't do repairs to the display clamshell as shown...they do whole clamshell replacements.

You could find an Apple sticker to place over the Apple on the clamshell, which is a much easier fix. ;)

C

Reaction score
Personally, I'd probably tear it apart and "fix" it. Just because I'm anal like that. :)

How does the laptop perform otherwise? I've recently found a new appreciation for the (now older) core2duo-based Macs. With plenty of ram and an SSD, they are still quite serviceable/usable!

(although I limit my search for ones that are supported with Sierra)

Ask a Question