Weird characters after updating OS

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I sure hope someone can help me out with this strange problem. After I did my latest update, my macbook pro started acting strangely. It was as if it had become possessed. When I start to type, I get a small screen above the line showing me options for that letter in different languages. It then advances forward or deletes backward. When I try to open a new window, I get about six or seven in rapid succession. How can I exorcise this gremlin? This happened to me last time I updated a couple of months ago.
I have a MacBook Pro, M2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 15 and am running OS Mojave 10.14.3
I videoed the gremlin in action as screen shots are impossible! Tried to upload the video but can't figure out how to do it, sorry.

Reaction score
The screen you refer to is triggered by pressing and holding down a key, allowing you to use variations of that letter. Just make sure you don't hold down a key for too long.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not holding down the key for any length of time. And it only happens after I upgrade. It seems to have disappeared by itself after a couple of weeks. Digits crossed.

Ask a Question