SOLVED Weird Stocks & Drive name

Reaction score
Mojave 10.14.3 - Macbook Pro Early 2015.

I have an external volume named Stock. I have great difficulty ejecting. I discovered that the what is preventing it is...
NotificationCenter - ID330 - /System/Library/CoreServices/Stocks.app/Contents/Plugins/......
i.e. The stocks & Shares app built in (that I cannot stop!)

If I rename the volume and I still cannot eject because of bdldaemon. Stocks.app is no longer listed as causing the problem. (COINCIDENCE of name???)
I have never had bitdefender installed but I do have it on a PC on the network, but which is turned OFF. (I don't know if the mac is counted as an external drive when the PC detects it on the network and loads something on the mac).

Can anybody help with this please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The hard drive's name of Stock shouldn't have any interaction with the Stocks.app...that is strange.

bdldaemon is definitely part of Bitdefender. It would have had to be installed on the Mac at some point, as it is a launch daemon. If the PC did see the Mac on the network, it wouldn't have installed the daemon. I haven't heard of that happening, especially since they are two different operating systems, and software doesn't work that way normally.

-Are there any other users on the Mac that may have installed Bitdefender?
-Could it have been installed as part of a software bundle? Sometimes ISPs do this.
-Is there an uninstaller in the Utilities folder? Or, do you see a DMG for Bitdefender in your Downloads folder?
-You could try running Malwarebytes for Mac to see if there may be other malware on your Mac.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory for your response. I must say I could not see how there could be any interaction with a volume name, but stranger things have happened.
The Apple could be seen on the network at other times but the PC was off at the incident.
Nobody else uses either computer. There is no uninstaller to any antivirus software and there is no mention anywhere regarding Bitdefender. Nothing in the download folder, and I have never had any antivirus except on the PC, I believe the Mac to be infallible in this regard!! :)
I have run Malwarebytes with nothing unusual.
I do not believe there was any accidental install via a bundle.

That leaves it where I started. I am baffled but continue to have unmount problems that can last ten minutes after a first attempt.
I have dropped the drive icons onto Spotlight to prevent them indexing, just in case, and that is successful.
I certainly cannot understand why 'Stocks' is doing anything, especially with a USB drive, I have never used it.

It would seem that this is some kind of 'fluke' and I will have to live with it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

You can manually uninstall the bdldaemon. Navigate to Macintosh HD > Library. There should be a folder called Bitdefender containing the following: /Library/Bitdefender/AVP/antivirus.bundle/BDLDaemon. You can drag the entire Bitdefender folder to the Trash - it will prompt you for your user password. Then restart, and it should not load any longer.

I forgot to ask: Is the Stocks USB drive a flash drive or a hard drive?

C

Reaction score
The drive is a USB plugin unpowered HDD.
Thank you very much for the instructions. I confess I did not expect to find it. It must surely be something that is part of OSX.
With that gone I hope the other Stocks.app does not continue to cause a problem, we shall see.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

No, it is not part of OS X/macOS...it had to be installed at some point for that folder exist. I am not sure what installed it, but at least it is removed.

C

Reaction score
It must have been to do with the network from PC. This now seems to be solved. Thank you Cory.

Ask a Question