Vanishing iCloud Email on iMac Running Mojave

Reaction score
I use a 2010 iMac with 16 GB RAM and running Mojave 10.14.6.

I have three email accounts and mainly only use two, one with my Comcast.net address, the other being iCloud.com.

Over the last 2-3 years, I've gravitated more and more toward my iCloud address as my main email address.

I've noticed more and more lately that messages will simply vanish from my inbox -- but only from my iCloud account. So long as the message remains unread, they seem to stay put. Once I open a message and then close it, the chances of it simply vanishing have been growing more and more likely as time goes by. There have been a couple of instances that I know an unread message has also disappeared for no reason I can fathom.

By "vanishing," I mean these messages are just gone. They don't mysteriously end up in my Junk Folder, or who up in any other subsidiary folder in my Mail app.

This does not happen with my Comcast or sbcglobal accounts.

The thing is, I can open Mail on my iPhone XR, and I can find the "vanished" message right there in my inbox where it belongs, but I can't seem to get it to reappear on my iMac's Mail inbox for love or money. Forwarding it back to me does not work unless I send it to my Comcast or sbcglobal addresses, and that just makes things way, way too complicated and messy.

What the heck is going on with this??? It's driving me nuts, and even more so when it's a message that involves payments, invoices or tracking numbers, or something else that's important to me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would try checking the Mail application preferences. See if there are any manual Rules setup, and possibly what Accounts > Server settings are set to.

It doesn't sound like the emails are actually disappearing on iCloud, since you can see them on other devices. It has to be something on the Mac Mail application settings.

C

Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice. I've checked my settings and can't find anything amiss there.

This truly has me baffled. I've never seen or heard of anything like this at all before. I wish there were something I could test out, but as I pointed out in the OP, this happens at random. No rhyme or reason behind it.

Ask a Question