How do I backup Ipads content without icloud or itunes

Reaction score
I got my kids ipads, but they already exceeded the icloud storage with their art contents. What's a good way of backing up the content without using icloud or itunes? They only have like 5-10 gb, so easily saved to a hard disk or a usb key. What's the easiest way to do this?

Reaction score
It appears that when connect the ipad to my PC, I can mount the drive but not make any changes.

Do I really have to install itunes? It doesn't work that well on a PC and the backup takes up too much space. I try connecting a hard drive to the PC and set itune homes on there.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Of course, using iTunes and/or iCloud are the recommended ways to backup data on iOS devices. You can expand your iCloud storage to 50 GB for $0.99/month USD.
  • Which model are the iPads?
  • Which version of iOS/iPadOS?
  • Are they using their own iCloud accounts or an iCloud Family Sharing plan?
  • What type of files art the art contents they are creating?
Here is an article that may help: How to Copy and Back Up Files To External Storage on iPhone and iPad

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
You can back up your iOS device(s) to your Mac. Open a Finder window and open the Sidebar. With your iPad connected, see if it appears under Locations. If it’s on the list, select it. The main window should show the iPad. Under Backups, click on the radio button “Back up all of the data on your iPad to this Mac.” You can then elect to encrypt local backup. Then click “Back Up Now.”

If the iPad is not on the Locations list, open Finder Preferences. Click on Sidebar. Under Locations, click the checkbox for “CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices.” Now the iPad and/or iPhone should appear in the Finder window sidebar.

By the way, local backups are saved every time a local backup is done. If your latest backup was not good, you can choose to restore from a previous session. To see the list of backup(s), click on “Manage Backups…”

Ask a Question