SOLVED How to TRASH OLD BACKUP FILES?

Reaction score
Have backup files as old as 2015 saved on external HD. Want to clean house and trash the old ones. Have initiated the process and am only part way through the first backup file. Am having to open all the folders down the very last and unlock all via "command I" / unlock.

Once that is done most I am able to trash....but not all. Example is: Contents of all folders within the Library folder of the System folder in the main hard rive. Not able to unlock; hence, not able to trash.

I seem to remember a keyboard combination which allowed unlocking in such a situation. However, I do not remember what keys are used.

If anyone knows that, or has another / other tips to allow the system folder contents trashed...

and/or a method to unlock all those folders without having to do each one individually (VERY time consuming), I will be very appreciative.

Reaction score
H,

I have always used this method, unless I have misunderstood you.

1. Click on the Time Machine icon and select Enter Time Machine.
  2. Then scroll through your backup files and find the ones you want to delete.
  3. Click on the Gear icon.
  4. Select delete backup.
  5. If requested, enter your password.

Reaction score
H,

I have always used this method, unless I have misunderstood you.

1. Click on the Time Machine icon and select Enter Time Machine.
  2. Then scroll through your backup files and find the ones you want to delete.
  3. Click on the Gear icon.
  4. Select delete backup.
  5. If requested, enter your password.
THANK YOU! EXACTLY what I needed; was able to delete all the old files up to this December's. I had Time Machine set to delete when ran out of space, however, that would be a VERY LONG TIME!

Ask a Question