Accidentally dropped the Downloads Folder in Trash - Oops!

Reaction score
Unfortunately I've accidentally dropped the Downloads folder from the Dock into the Trash. Does anybody know how I can bring it back please?

It isn't in the Trash folder. I've tried dragging the Downloads folder from my user folder to the Dock but it looks different and has a much longer list of files which won't stack in an arc like before - please help!!!

If it's this difficult to fix Apple shouldn't have made it so easy to break - buggers!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The Downloads Folder you had on your Dock was an Alias/Shortcut and when it was removed from the Dock it just disappears in a puff of smoke and can't be brought back. As you've found out though, you can add another Alias to the Dock and that is the thing to do.

As for getting the new Downloads Folder to look like it's predecessor and to contain exactly the same files/folders is something you would achieve using the preference settings that appear when you Control/Right-Click the Folder.

I'm still using Tiger and have no intentions of upgrading just yet therefore I can't actually walk you through the process ....

Is it possible to remove the files you don't want shown to bring back the arc? As for looking different, you may need to fiddle about with things in order to have things arranged to your liking ....

Reaction score
Drag your downloads folder to your dock. Right click on it and click display as "folder"

Then right click again and click view content as "fan'

The above are just viewing options - it does not mean anything is broke. The reason why it may look like it has more files in is because it is displaying as a grid or list as opposed to a fan.

Reaction score
I faced the same problem, Suade.

More specifically however, my gripe was that (once restored to its spot on the dock), the Downloads stack wouldn't show my most-recently-downloaded-item atop the others... Which got me a teensy bit irked, you know?

Setting the [Sort By] preferences to [Date Modified] fixed things up quite nicely though.

To finish off, I don't know how applicable my input is/was to your issue, but this was the reason I came across this page, so, hopefully this will serve well for future visitors, if not you as well.

Cheers ;3,

Topher Berley

Ask a Question