Accidentally moved iphoto library to desktop

Reaction score
Running Yosemite 10.10.1, iphoto 9.6.1

I don't understand what I even did for this to occur but I was working on iphoto and now I have the iphoto library icon on my desktop. Can someone help me get it back to the right place? How could I have done this so that I don't do it again? Thank you!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Check your Applications folder to ensure iPhoto.app is still there … it's likely all you have is an alias on your Desktop. Does it have a little arrow above the iP in iPhoto? If you right-click it does "Show Original" appear near the top of the submenu? If you bring up a Get Info window on the alias you'll notice it's only a few bytes or megabytes in size unlike your actual iPhoto.app which would be significantly larger.

If so it's safe to delete this alias. Just ensure it is an alias first!

Reaction score
Check your Applications folder to ensure iPhoto.app is still there … it's likely all you have is an alias on your Desktop. Does it have a little arrow above the iP in iPhoto? If you right-click it does "Show Original" appear near the top of the submenu? If you bring up a Get Info window on the alias you'll notice it's only a few bytes or megabytes in size unlike your actual iPhoto.app which would be significantly larger.

If so it's safe to delete this alias. Just ensure it is an alias first!

Thank you so much for your reply. My iphoto app is in the applications folder. There is an arrow above the iP on the Iphotos Library icon that appeared on my desktop. The right click brings up "show original,"s and the Get info shows it as 2.2 megs, where my iphoto library is 44 gigs. Thank you for all those pieces of information to help me figure it out. I backup to time machine so I know I wouldn't lose it, but I don't want to have to go through all that if I don't have to.

Spawn_Dooley, if you have any idea what I might have done to create this alias, I would love to know.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the alias … you know I've done the strangest things that defy logic … it would have been just an accidental drag or an accidental right-click. :)

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the alias … you know I've done the strangest things that defy logic … it would have been just an accidental drag or an accidental right-click. :)
OK, thanks. Now at least I know how to figure out if something is an alias, in case I hit that crazy key combination again!

Ask a Question